Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 19-09-2005 , 12:34 PM
The Maya Mountain
I think you should really push the "communist" look... maybe make them full-on Russian. user added image

# 32 19-09-2005 , 01:32 PM
hehe, throw in a hammer and sicle for weapons with your last lot of tris user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 33 19-09-2005 , 03:50 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the ideas. I think ill try out the hammer and sicle. Ill pose it to look like the flag after the models done. That would be pretty sweet. Maybe a russian looking shirt extrusion like on the front cover shot. The wings will be stationary as it wil be a still shot. Ill probly use a few polys for that. Ill wait on teeth until i see how many i have left over. The final shot probably will be far enough that teeth wont be that noticable anyways. Ill work on it when i get home from work.

What I lack in skill I make up for with enthusiasm.
# 34 20-09-2005 , 05:06 AM
Subscriber
Here it is...i still need to tweak a little, but it shows promise. The new and communized COMMIE MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!! Shes wearing a very fashionable overcoat and a fur hat. Shes also sporting her brand new communist arsenal. Wieghing in at just under the wire...2996 tris.

Attached Thumbnails

# 35 20-09-2005 , 08:11 AM
lol at the russian hat :lmao: (in a good way)

you could probably remove the collar and just do it in your texture, maybe have a look at simplifying the weapons structure too. That might give you enough to give his other hands something to do user added image - then again they look good as they are

www.flash-fx.net
# 36 20-09-2005 , 08:23 AM
maybe you could make HIS hand a weapon.
So he got 4 arms, 2 of them normal and 2 like a weapon.

# 37 21-09-2005 , 04:03 AM
Subscriber

grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think im going to use the model mostly as is. I feel its pretty good except for a few details which ill tweak a little. All of the hands are supposed to be crab-like claws. Hopefully that will become more clear once its textured.

Well i was about a third of the way done with my first uv mapping ever when all of a sudden theres a power outage. Im very frustrated right now and am going to take a breather. Ill probly do it again tomorrow. Tonight im gonna kill everyone on Battlefield 2. Is there a save every 15 minutes in a temp scene option to avoid this again? I should have saved:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Ive noticed that everyone is calling MOMMY COMMIE a he. I know it looks like a male and has a female name, but it turns out that this species of alien has only one sex and is asexual. I figure ANDROGENOUS PARENT COMMUNIST ALIEN just doesnt have the right ring to it. Boh he and she are correct.

# 38 21-09-2005 , 05:30 AM

Re: grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by badtertle
Ive noticed that everyone is calling MOMMY COMMIE a he. I know it looks like a male and has a female name, but it turns out that this species of alien has only one sex and is asexual. I figure ANDROGENOUS PARENT COMMUNIST ALIEN just doesnt have the right ring to it. Boh he and she are correct.

Too funny! Looking really good badtertle. And don't sweat it. You've got plenty of time for texturing. And I just noticed you live in San Jose. Its cool to see other Bay Area peeps hereuser added image

# 39 21-09-2005 , 05:52 AM
There is an auto-save option. I believe it is under the save option box or something ( sorry I dont have maya open at the moment)

# 40 21-09-2005 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
I know that i have a bunch of time left, but Deanza College starts on Monday and i dont know how much time between school and my job that ill have to work on this. I want to get as much done before that happens. Thanks for the autosave info. Ill make sure i turn it on when i get home tonight.

# 41 24-09-2005 , 03:41 AM
Subscriber
well i couldnt find the autosave, but ive remembered to save every fifteen minutes anyhow. I think i finally figured out the basics of this uv map thing. Now all i have to do is learn how to use photoshop....
The textures are temporary for the most part just to see if i mapped things right. Theres a bit too much stretching in some areas which i gotta fix.
Colors frustrate me for the most part as im red green colorblind (it kinda throws my whole scale off) so most of my textures will probably be stolen from images online. The fur and rock and handles are pictures. Everything has to be tweaked though.
I also think ill get rid of the collar geometry like Tick suggested, you cant really see it, so ill just have to paint it in.
Not gonna be the winner but ive already learned a doody load.

Attached Images

# 42 24-09-2005 , 03:42 AM
Subscriber
512 #2

Attached Images

# 43 24-09-2005 , 03:43 AM
Subscriber
here she is in full render

Attached Thumbnails

# 44 24-09-2005 , 09:36 AM
cool user added image thats come on loads with the textures added

Dont worry about the red/green colourblindness thing, I'm partially red/green too and for an A level self portrait somehow managed to tint some of the face green (incredible hulk style!) Just ask the people around you to give opinions and they'll say something like 'thats a bit green isn't it?' so you can use the feedback and change it.
Another tip is to zoom right in so most of the screen is the colour. A lot of the time its the smaller areas of red/green which look grey and are hard to detect - making the area huge means you might be able to better detect which colour it is.

I'd have a play with some 3 point lighting now to show the model off more user added image

www.flash-fx.net
# 45 25-09-2005 , 01:54 AM
Subscriber
Well didnt do much with the textures yet...they will all be redone, i assure you. In the meanwhile, I decided to work on my lighting and final pose. Heres a concept sketch. Im definately going to use the model i had before the hat and coat went on for the babies, just tweaked a bit to look more like fetuses. Is there a way to get a glow around my eggs. The incandescence doesnt seem do do it. Also, im not sure what i can and cant do, texture and lighting-wise to keep the final product video game compatible. For instance, is it okay to use the incondesence and transparency bars in the texture editor, or do i have to map it with alpha channels(something which i dont really understand yet)

Attached Thumbnails