Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-01-2013 , 12:02 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Abrams to direct....

# 2 25-01-2013 , 01:01 AM
EduSciVis-er
I love how upset people are that someone involved with Star Trek is now involved with Star Wars. The universes must not collide!
https://nooooooooooooooo.com/

# 3 25-01-2013 , 02:01 AM
Subscriber
I`m not the biggest fan of Star-wars (I`m one of the few who enjoyed the story of eps 2 and 3 more than 4,5 and 6 - apart from the droids being in them) and was not a big fan of Star-trek. But Adams work on the last Star-trek film really did win me over. If Disney feel they had to push out these new films I am glad that they picked someone who will do a good job.

# 4 25-01-2013 , 02:03 AM
Lifetime Member
It will not be good

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 25-01-2013 , 04:17 AM
The luster faded after the first one for me (episode IV - A New Hope). All the others just got progressively more childish.

I can seriously live happily never seeing another ewok or jar jar binx and story lines where mutant teddy bears armed with pointed twigs can defeat a technologically superior force like the empire.

As for Abrams - I really liked his take on the Star Trek prequel. I enjoyed the plot, the visuals and his work on the character development.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 26-01-2013 at 07:38 PM.
# 6 25-01-2013 , 08:13 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Well it cannot be as bad as the prequels, i also don't think it will be as good as empire strikes back especially since it is been forcefully created driven by franchise frenzy.

# 7 26-01-2013 , 05:37 AM
19 year Veteran
Nothing will ever be as good as empire.

I wonder how much money Lucasfilm/Disney offered Abrams to change his mind.

# 8 26-01-2013 , 09:06 AM
I think regardless of any opinions aired here or on the web generally, we will all go and have a look at the film once its released, out of shear curiosity.

I'm a big Star Wars fan (mainly original trilogy) the prequels had their moments good and very bad, but undoubtedly, Empire is the best of the lot. How many films do you see where the good guys get their asses kicked and the film ends, a perfect world LOL.

Im sure Abrams was offered enough and I'm sure that will be announced or leak out at some point.

I think its good that he is on board. For starters he is a huge fan and that can make the difference, frachise frenzy or not, this guy loves his job and is clearly passionate on all his projects and regardless of public opinion he can pull us into a theatre or the tv.

I was actually wondering if they persuaded him to do it because of the way he approached his Star Trek reboot, he took the ambience of everything cynical that was the original Star Wars trilogy and threw it into Star Trek...and it worked, he even mentions it in a round about way on the blu ray/dvd extras....just a thought

anyway, Im intrigued at what he'll bring to the table, keep an open mind until you see it, George isnt directing or doing the screenplay...fingers crossed

a little something from StarWars.com https://starwars.com/news/star-wars-i...isode-vii.html

Jay

# 9 26-01-2013 , 12:40 PM
Subscriber

# 10 26-01-2013 , 05:50 PM
19 year Veteran
I never liked any of Abrams stuff. He too much like Michael bay and George Lucas. It's all about the visuals with Abrams. He's not much of a character director.And everything he's made is really fast paced. I guess thats from actually having worked with Michael bay.

Hollywood is pretty much stuck in their own bubble, and all the industry professionals are singing Abrams tune. They all love his visual style, but thats about it.

# 11 26-01-2013 , 06:24 PM
He is an actors director, thats why he got Star Trek to work. I think when you look at his stuff theres plenty of character focus.....character focus in Lost (despite the ending) Super 8 and so on, all character based, so I beg to differ on that one....

He isnt anything like George 'cant write' Lucas or Michael 'lets rename it and blow the shit out it' Bay regardless of working with him.

People are singing his tune because they know he can and will deliver. I wouldn't really call lens flare a visual style LOL, just overuse of a filter in comp LOL or correctly place lights over lens on set. he knows how to deliver a narrative and knows how to draw you in.

J

# 12 26-01-2013 , 07:32 PM
Subscriber

It's all about the visuals with Abrams. He's not much of a character director.

Sorry THX but I`m with Jay here - your 100% wrong here about the character stuff - All his TV stuff has been about the characters - Even his movies has more than most - MI3 (Although I hate the whole series) was a lot more character driven than the other 3.

He does like things to look shiny in places but I don`t think he would ever choice that over character.

# 13 26-01-2013 , 07:44 PM
19 year Veteran
Sorry guys, I just don't think he's a character director. I didn't feel anything for any character in any of his movies from Mission Impossible 3, to Super 8, to Startrek 2009. They all seemed very one dimensional to me, but thats just my own opinion. I'm not a fan of TV dramas so I have not seen any of his TV stuff.

Anyway, everything he makes for the cinema is just to fast paced and either FX or action dominated for my taste. Maybe Starwars 7 will be different. I guess time will tell.

# 14 26-01-2013 , 07:56 PM
I have to agree with Jay as well. I thought the plot, the visuals and the character development were all excellent in the Star Trek prequel.

Seriously, for me, the only Star Wars I cared for was the first one (epsiode !V - A new Hope). I found all the others to be quite a let down as they progressively became more and more childish. Seriously, a bunch of mutant monkey-teddy-bears armed with pointed sticks is going to defeat the empire? Really?

The main reason the first one was so enjoyable to me is that I was in that first generation of people that saw it. It was the first movie in Dolby surround and the larger film format (forget the mm size but there was only one theater that was about 50 miles from my house that had it). I remember driving out there and seeing it like half a dozen times. There were long lines that wrapped around the theater to see each showing that lasted for weeks! By today's standards it's quite a hokey movie.

Until the first Alien, Star Wars EIV was my favorite movie.

But hey I am clearly no judge of movies as I still recall it losing to "Annie Hall" as the best picture of the year. I laugh every time I see a Star Wars weekend marathon thinking to myself how many people long to see reruns of Annie Hall? lol

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 28-01-2013 at 10:07 PM.
# 15 26-01-2013 , 08:59 PM
Nobody likes Ewoks! I hate them....Just rubbish, pure rubbish. They didnt need creating. Jedi would have survived on that space battle and the lightsabre fight with Vader and Luke, no problem

Jay