Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 27-10-2003 , 12:57 AM
Subscriber

Pipes

Im working on an animation for a short movie intro. The camera basically follows these pipes, fading in and out of darkness, thats when the opning credits appear. Just really worked on getting the modelling and texturing right.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 27-10-2003 , 01:01 AM
Subscriber
cool!

Do you have any of the animation done that you could post? user added image

# 3 27-10-2003 , 01:13 AM
Subscriber
No, no animation yet. Going to finish texturing the rest of the piping tonight. I'm not using that much. Just faking by using different camera's etc. I may get started on the animation tonight, not sure if i should do that or lighting first. It needs to be completed by next weekend anyway though i'm going to struggle to be done by then. As soon as i have animation i'll post it.

Thanks.

# 4 27-10-2003 , 01:26 AM
G'day mrmacca

nice work!!!

I recon you should light it first unless you already know what your camera shot is gona be.

if you light it you may decide a different camera shot or sequence.

then again if you allready have a shot in mind you can use the lights specificaly for that shot.

I think I just succesfuly worte in a circle, sorry about that bro.

nice pipes, any power cables or small pipes branching off?

xian

# 5 27-10-2003 , 02:26 AM
Subscriber
Thanks xian. I hadn't planned any power cables though they're are a few small pipes branching off. I think i'll be doing lights then cameras. There's actually 6 different camera animations so i'll probably create 6 seperates scenes with their own camera and light setup.

I do have one issue to overcome. In the image i posted there's a lack of shadow for now. Tha main light, a spot light is emmitting specular and diffuse but i dont want to receive specular on the wall from this light so it's unlinked from this light, hence no shadows. I have another spot light closely in the same area and it emmits only diffuse on to the wall. Any suggestions on a workaround?

# 6 27-10-2003 , 03:44 AM
Subscriber
Here's my last test render hopefully on the textures. Any crits before i call the texturing complete? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 27-10-2003 , 04:08 AM
The Maya Mountain
Far too dark.

# 8 27-10-2003 , 05:00 AM
Subscriber
Sorry Mike. MAybe there's a problem with the calibration of my LCD. I see lots of detail in that pic. Does everyone have that problem?

Well here's another render, hopefully you can see this one.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 27-10-2003 , 06:38 AM
19 year Veteran
It could still use more light.

# 10 27-10-2003 , 09:17 AM
Subscriber
Is this any better? I thought my monitor was set up ok and everyone else's was messed up user added image Sorry if it's not, i need to get this issue cleared up.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 27-10-2003 , 02:19 PM

Originally posted by mrmacca
. There's 6 different camera animations so i'll probably create 6 seperates scenes with their own camera and light setup.

I do have one issue to overcome. In the image i posted there's a lack of shadow for now. Tha main light, a spot light is emmitting specular and diffuse but i dont want to receive specular on the wall from this light so it's unlinked from this light, hence no shadows. I have another spot light closely in the same area and it emmits only diffuse on to the wall. Any suggestions on a workaround?

Heybro user added image

the lighting thing sounds interesting. Was wondering if you use a normal light and turn off the specularity level on the wall texture?

I'm not quite sure what effect you are goin for.

you could play with coloured lights, 3 point (with oranges & blues) maybe a GIjoe? volumetrics?

yup a little dark on my screen dude. but what I can see looks sic!
user added image your six scene's, 1 for each shot, is a very good Idea. keep things seperate, easier to tweek a shot without stuffin the rest. but- If you make the lights in the first file and save after you wont have to build a lighting system from scrach 6 times, or you could import them. user added image sorry late nite.

have a good one bro user added image

xian

# 12 27-10-2003 , 05:14 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the help xian. Yeah, turn down specular for the walls, that worked. I am going to create all the lights at once. There's 3 areas that have 2 cameras each and maybe 4 or 5 lights each. I can just turn them off the unused lights scene by scene. I might give Gi Joe a try though i haven't got much time to experiment.

Thanks again.

# 13 27-10-2003 , 05:36 PM
my girlfriends asking me "is that a 3d model".

# 14 30-10-2003 , 12:01 AM
Subscriber
Just an updated render from the 1st scene animation.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 30-10-2003 , 12:56 AM
Its green. Is it meant to be green? If it is then its great. If not, then you have problems. user added image