Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-05-2003 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber

sharp er shadows please!

I cant seem to get nice sharp shadows with just a fraction of blur on the edge.
What attributes should I be looking at?

# 2 02-05-2003 , 12:00 PM
Subscriber
i used a spotlight
ok i got penumbra angle :1
Dmap Filter size: 5
all others default
you get a nice softening around the edge of the shadow hope that what you need user added image

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 3 02-05-2003 , 12:47 PM
I lifted this from one of my other posts. If you're using depth map shadows, try cranking the dmap resolution up for sharper shadows (1024). If you want softer shadows use a smaller Dmap like 128 or 256 and increase the dmap filter to 2 or 3.

If you're raytracing and want a soft shadow, adjust the light radius and increase the shadowrays a bit...maybe start with 7 and go up or down from there. Be aware that increasing light rays will increase your render time.

You'll learn alot by just adjusting the attributes a little bit and rendering.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 02-05-2003 , 04:04 PM
Subscriber
yeah increasing the dmap res will get less blurred shadows, i think, or cud be the other way around, but i know its to do with the res of the depth map

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com