Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-04-2014 , 12:03 PM

How do I dim light/darken up an Object during an animation?

Hey folks! I hope you understand my english for this is not my native language.

I'm a total beginner in maya 2014 but I like doing 3D stuff. I want to know if it's possible to darken an object during an animation, like to dim a light. In the animation, the camera changes perspective from a sideview to the topview. and in the topview, only the top objects should be seen while the objects below should dim until they cannot be seen anymore.

Can anybody please help? Thank you! user added image user added image

Edit: I'm sorry, I posted this in the wrong category... sorry!

Last edited by Suna no Mai; 08-04-2014 at 12:10 PM.
# 2 08-04-2014 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber
Dear Suna,
your english is very fine (stated by guy for whom english is not the native language as well ;-) )
Since I am learning Maya I am all the time surprised of opportunities and options you can work with.
I am only little experienced but maybe my points are going to help you. Others may have additional proposals.

1. i think the easiest way would be to change the light intensity during your camera change with key framing in parallel.. It depends of course, what type of light you are using (spot light, area light etc.).
2. you could also try to work with translucent/transparent objects between your light source and the object you want to illuminate, also here key framing the properties (grade of transparence or translucency)
3. For light sources you have also the option to decay the intensity (linear, quadratic etc), so here it would be also a simple solution to move the light source away from your object also as key framed movement, for example with a spotlight. To simulate the effect only of dimming, you may have to adjust the con angle, penumbra etc. accordingly.

Give us some pictures to understand better your plans

With best regards

husbyhogan