Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 07-12-2011 , 01:00 AM
3d n00b

Combine vs Parent

When making a model with multiple pieces that sit together which is the best to use. Obviously parent is probably better for texturing purposes. when would I want to use combine or vice versa?

# 2 07-12-2011 , 01:28 AM
EduSciVis-er
You should use parenting and grouping unless the mesh is actually going to be contiguous. There's no point (that I can see) to have two "items" as a single mesh unless they have common edges, if you get what I mean.

# 3 07-12-2011 , 10:01 AM
The thin red line
Stwert is right in whats he said but there are times when you need to combine a mesh with multiple parts, say you want to bake a texture out if there are 20 different meshes you will get 20 textures combine the meshes and you will get 1 texture. I allways separate the mesh after doing this(just select the mesh then press separate) also works for mirroring.......dave

# 4 07-12-2011 , 11:57 PM
Hi.

I'd normally combine objects that are going to share the same material/UV space.

cheers

gubar