Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 26-02-2007 , 05:05 PM

skinning

hi , i have a question about smooth bind.

previously i was able to smooth bind with no problem, but i am not sure if i change any setting, smooth bind does not work as intended , when i create a cylinder and create 3 joints. I then smooth bind and move the middle joint.

by right the cylinder will bend in the middle like a elbow bending, but it doesnt bend anymore , instead it rotates about the joint 1
( pls see my picture )

can any1 offer any solution , i have already reseted my smooth bind settings

thks in advance

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 26-02-2007 , 05:22 PM
Are you selecting the objects in the right order?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 26-02-2007 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
Hello,

if you put some subdivisions into the height of the cylinder, that'll sort your problem. An object will only flex where it is able, it's simple if you imagine the subdivisions as creases that will allow movement, the more creases, the smoother the movement.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 4 26-02-2007 , 05:45 PM
yes previously , i have no problems with it .

but i tink i changed some settings , pls look at my picture, i have no problems with the sphere , but cylinder i cant bend it properly...

furthermore i cant edit the cylinder with paint skin weight tool

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 26-02-2007 , 05:53 PM
thks a million i get it now

anyway not sure if its common but everytime when i skin a human body....

after smooth bind , i move the arms... the head moves drastically too...is paint skin weight tool the only way out?

# 6 26-02-2007 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
You appear to have sorted it in the time it took me to make the image, I'll post it anyway.

Painting skin weights is how you edit the influence a joint has on the mesh. If you're getting deformation around the head of your model when you move the shoulder, you need to correct it with the Paint Skin Weight tool.

Later,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 27-02-2007 , 08:05 AM

Originally posted by happymat27
You appear to have sorted it in the time it took me to make the image, I'll post it anyway.

Painting skin weights is how you edit the influence a joint has on the mesh. If you're getting deformation around the head of your model when you move the shoulder, you need to correct it with the Paint Skin Weight tool.

Later,

Mat.

But sometimes it seems to have no effect and it goes back to normal as soon as I get out of the tool. How do I fix that?

Sparticususer added image

Expect to excell...