Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-12-2010 , 09:53 PM

Model Errors Urgent advice!!

Hi

This is really urgent, so please anyone help me. I'm not new at Maya, and never had this problem before. I made a face model, everything was alright, and saved it as a .ma file 2010.

When I reopened the file, the model looked like this

Please, I need all the help I can get before tomorrow!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 02-12-2010 , 10:33 PM
The thin red line
I have not had this before but have you still go your history, you might find your answer in there.....dave

# 3 02-12-2010 , 10:53 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Is it just a head model??

The reason I ask is because it looks like a model that has had a blend shape added to it with the wrong point order...

If not then the file has been corrupted in the .ma.

Why did you save it as an ma and not an mb??

cheers
Jay

# 4 02-12-2010 , 10:58 PM
I doesn't have any blendshapes applied at all. I had .ma as my defalut, so I forgot to save a .mb. I know there's no way to fix that, so I started all over again, I just want to know what might have caused this to occur. By the way, I got this message: "Can't perform polyMergeVert36 on selection"

# 5 02-12-2010 , 11:11 PM
Would you be opposed to uploading the ma file so I could take a look at it. As it is an ma file it may be possible to extract the geometry info intact. No promises but I could take a look at it.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 02-12-2010 , 11:20 PM

Model

Here it is, If you are able to fix that, I would be very thankful if you told me what you did for it.

Attached Files
File Type: zip final_claudiaruiz.zip (34.7 KB, 378 views)
# 7 03-12-2010 , 03:18 AM
I am looking at the code in the ascii file but can't put a finger on what happened to corrupt the data, but it looks like it is not undoable unfortunately. When you save an ma file the geometry is actually rebuilt from mel commands. I was hoping the original undamged geometry still existed and perhaps some odd transform got applied at the end but it just draws it out that way. The file does not look corrupted. There could be something to what Jay was saying and the point order got scrambled but I cannot guess what could have caused it.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 03-12-2010 at 10:44 PM.
# 8 03-12-2010 , 10:07 PM
Thanks anyway, I thought it might have to something with me not deleting the history....

# 9 14-01-2011 , 10:43 PM
Technical Director
Hi sreynoso, I've managed to remove most of the corruption. In the future, make sure you delete your history regularly. Not only will it stop these issues from happening, it will also make modeling much faster, as there is less information to evaluate.

Hope all is well.

-John

Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: zip final_claudiaruiz_fixed.ma.zip (19.3 KB, 355 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 10 02-05-2011 , 08:27 PM

maya versions

I had something like this the other day has it all been made in the same version of maya i went from 2008 to 11 and it just made a mess of everything, if so file, import, tick ignore version

# 11 08-10-2014 , 07:18 AM

my solution

some of the history nodes are damaged and maya cannot evaluate them and connect them with other nodes.

select the damaged nodes that have an error message in the script editor and block their node behaviour in the attribute spread sheet.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 23-10-2014 , 11:39 AM
Banned
Im trying to get a hinge constraint I have set up for some rigidy bodies to move around a central point. If i simply parent the constraint to some geo, there is movement but when I restart the sim, the constraint doesn't reset back to where it was. Whats the correct workflow for this? any thoughts?
thanks