Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 13-08-2006 , 12:02 AM
Subscriber

Rendering Spinning Propellers Tip?

Hello,
I saw the DVD on how to create the Spitfire model and noticed the image showed the propeller's spinning (motion blur and all). Can anyone recommend or describe the steps/settings one would use (regular Maya renderer or Mental Ray) to get a nice blur like that image shows? I am having a helluva time getting the blades to look good in a render? Any suggestions? Does that DVD go over that? If so maybe I will buy it just for that! :-)

# 2 13-08-2006 , 02:22 AM
Subscriber
Two ways I would do it.

Animate the Prop with render using Motion Blur.
Create a texture to look like a Prop spinning with Motion Blur.

# 3 13-08-2006 , 06:08 AM
the problem you will have is that as the prop is spinning it will look weird and you wont get a curved prop you will get a straight line because of how the prop is blurred through the frame. What I would do (and have done on projects before) is to duplicate the propa few times and offset it's rotation so that each one starts a little bit behind the next. That way you will get proper motion blur and it will be curved rather than straight.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 14-08-2006 , 07:16 AM
Subscriber
Hmmm. Thanks for the replies. I have noticed that my blurs were almost rectangular and not a smooth circular shape...Okay. I will duplicate the prop, offset it and spin both and use 3d motion blur and see what I get this weekend.
I will post my results here.

Thanks for the comments.

# 5 14-08-2006 , 09:54 AM
Subscriber
Have a look at This Thread. It looks like a good method.

Cheers
Paul