Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-05-2008 , 01:24 AM

Texture baking

So, I'm doing a house (Gothenburg Museum of Art) for Google Earth, and I want to bake everything (texture, color, shadows etc) into the textures.

I'm using just Physical Sky with sun enabled and rendering with MR.

This is how it looks when doing a normal render:

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-05-2008 , 01:25 AM
And with these settings I do the baking:

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 19-05-2008 , 01:28 AM
However, the model with the baked textures doesn't look like it should add all. The shadows are 100% black and it's overlit. If I do a Occlussion baking it works fine (just the occlussion). So does the "light and color" option doesn't give a crap about the physical sky, final gather settings etc.? And what's the solution? To render EVERYTHING into the textures in one go?

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 19-05-2008 , 03:04 AM
The Maya Mountain
I would recommend baking things one pass at a time because that gives you the greatest flexibility to work with them in photoshop and combine them together to get good results

# 5 19-05-2008 , 04:55 AM
However if I'm satisfied with how the render look if would be freakin dandy to render bake everything in one go.

And I don't get the results expected.

Here's an "global illumination only" baking.

What's up with that? I checked the UV layout and the mesh and there's no strange geometry or normals from what I can see.

And how do I render out the shadows only?

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 21-05-2008 , 03:49 PM
19 year Veteran
In your render passes attributes, turn off everything but shadows. That will render just the shadow pass.

Hope that helps out. user added image

# 7 25-05-2008 , 02:52 PM
And are you sure that the render layer settings have influence on the texture baking? Because I'm not using the regular "render" function, ya know.

# 8 25-05-2008 , 06:15 PM
19 year Veteran
It should, atleast in m experience using render passes. However I have never baked textures, but the render passes function should still work the same.