Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 25-06-2003 , 02:07 AM

aargh... cv extrude...

This is rediculous I know but Ive been fighting with Maya for about 2 hours trying to make a ribbon that has a little thickness to it, kindof like a belt I guess. I have a specific shape (CV curve) that I want to extrude along a path... I know how its supposed to be done and I can get it to work just fine and it looks cool just how I want it... But why oh why does the end result not have any surface??? What am I doing wrong? In other words, the curve extrudes correctly along the path and the wireframe looks complete but it a) will not render and b) does not show up in shaded perspective view other than as a wireframe... please help me, Im an idiot.

# 2 25-06-2003 , 02:36 AM
The Maya Mountain
that's strange. You can see the wireframe but not the shaded model? Can't say I've run into that before.

# 3 25-06-2003 , 07:42 PM

pic added

Check it out... This is all I get... I cant figure it out. Ive tired so many things.

Attached Thumbnails

Fall down seven times, get up eight...
# 4 25-06-2003 , 07:52 PM
Subscriber
are you sure your lambert1 is not fully transparent?

# 5 25-06-2003 , 08:00 PM
Try posting the actiual file in *.ma format so we can take a look.

# 6 25-06-2003 , 08:07 PM
Hmmm... I just reset Maya and when I rebooted it I did not load the scene that i was having problems with... When I tried it, it works now. Also, in the other scene (pictured) I was trying to make other objects, not just lofts or extrudes and they were acting the same way, I must have accidentally changed a setting somewhere... What would make ALL new objects act the same way? Id there a generic setting somewhere that controls this? Im going to experiment.

# 7 25-06-2003 , 08:08 PM
Above post in english: the problem only exists in the one scene file that I originally had the problem with.

# 8 25-06-2003 , 08:15 PM
I have no idea whats going on but I just reopened the original scene that was giving me problems and the problem is gone... I can see the objects now... Its bizarre because this problem started last night and after turning the computer off and on again and reloading the scene it was still giving me problems. Now it just seems to have started working... ?!? WTF?

# 9 25-06-2003 , 09:18 PM
I believe that there is a selection mask that will allow an object to only be shown in wire, shaded, x-ray, etc.

There is a key command for it that you MIGHT have accidentaly typed, or clicked a menu in the vewport shading menu possibly.

Also, the reason why it is not happening anymore, and what leads me to believe that my theory is in some small way true, is you can set your prefs to save viewport settings on a per-file basis, and when you re-load another separate file, the viewport settings are set back to default, or set to NOT save viewport changes at all.

Just a few ideasuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 10 26-06-2003 , 05:48 AM
Well everything seems to be working ok now. When it comes down to it youre probably right that I might have accidentally typed something. Thanks for taking the time to help.