Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-10-2003 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber

Teach a n00b to texture...

I started modelling 2 days ago, and managed to make this friendly looking chap user added image (don't laugh at me!)

user added image

The eyes and the shadow were added in photoshop as I still have not figured out how to do this in maya. Well.......I would like to make my own texture to add to him, and I have heard that UV texturing is what I am after. Could somebody point me in the right direction where I can get started? I have looked everywhere with little success.

Thanks!

# 2 25-10-2003 , 06:05 PM
Subscriber
Download some tutorials from the VIP section ;-)

grrrr
# 3 25-10-2003 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber
Isn't there anywhere I can go to find this out without having to pay £14 for the points to afford it??

It's not that I don't intend to buy points at some time - it's just I would rather learn the basics and then spend my points on something a little more advanced.

So......any other advice?

# 4 25-10-2003 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber

# 5 26-10-2003 , 12:17 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the help Witchy user added image

I had actually just found and watched that video tut before you posted that, and I had just about managed to texture one my persons hands the good ol' fashioned way user added image. But that tool you mentioned is great! That will save a lot of time.

Thanks again user added image

# 6 26-10-2003 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber
I seem to be having a problem in the UV Texture Editor window. I have just layed out the UV's of the face so that none of them are overlapping. When I try to move this to the top-right of the grid for the snapshot, all of the UV points in the shell just collapse to a straight line if I drag an axis using the move tool, or just to a single point if I try to move it freely.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

# 7 26-10-2003 , 02:16 AM
The Maya Mountain
Sounds like you have some kind of snapping turned on.

# 8 26-10-2003 , 02:26 AM
Subscriber
Oh yeah, so I did. It works fine now user added image

And mtmckinley, GREAT work on that polygon texturing tutorial by the way! Without that, I would probably still be utterly confused.

# 9 26-10-2003 , 05:57 AM
The Maya Mountain
Glad it helped. user added image