Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-05-2008 , 08:56 PM

Sunglasses tut pls help

Hi all. Im new to maya and i have a project for uni relating to modeling a pair of sunglasses....

was wondering if there are any tips and tricks in making one that would make the whole process a lot easier???

~teach me
# 2 02-06-2008 , 10:59 AM
The first time I made sunglasses, I started with a cylinder, 15 sides, and pulled it into the shape I wanted (I made them sort of semicurcular) and then I copied it, extruded the central face twice (similar to the basic technique of making a cup) and used append polygon to make a hole (This would become the rim of the glasses). Then, I put the model that I had copied from in the middle of the rim, and made them all very skinny (glass sized). I just bent a cube around for the nosepiece, and then I extruded a cube along a curve for the ear-thingies.

Then I mirrored the lens, rim, and the ear-thing across the axis (not combining them) and applied a semi-transparent dark material to the lens (a phong) and a slightly brighter blinn to everything else. I didn't bother to texture anything, but here's a quickie render of a copy I just did for kicks >_>

user added image

~I have no idea what I'm doing~