Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-10-2016 , 05:55 PM

Selection Issue

Hey there,

I have this really odd issue going on, where the selection tool is sort of mirroring a selection on the Y-axis in a way. For example I would like to select a component of a planes wing, but if I click a face from below, it'll have picked the adjacent face above (and vice versa). However I say 'sort of mirroring' because if I do the same on the planes body, there is no selection at all.

Ohh and before anyone says it haha, the symmetry setting is turned off (although new to maya, so as far as i know the basic symmetry selection tool is deselected)

Many thanks!

user added image

# 2 24-10-2016 , 06:28 PM
And another thing to note, the plane is made up of various parts all in the same scene, for example the cockpit is separate. The selection for the other parts (like the cockpit) are normal, its only the body/wings which are odd.

Also if zoom inside this plane, the selection for the inverse appears fine? which i find really confusing :S

# 3 25-10-2016 , 01:19 PM
I went back and looked at some of your "plane" and your geo. If you were the same one asking about an extrusion issue and having multiple faces then that may be your problem. If you didn't go back and clean up or even reset your extrusions then your geo is going to be a nightmare. Check your number of extrusions again and they should be at one unless you have them intentionally changed to something else. It's a common problem, at least for myself to remember to reset them after multiple extrusions. For your selection issue tumble your camera some or dolly in close enough to select one face, actually have one piece of geo on your monitor and select it, if it still selects multiple faces then someone on here can maybe fix that issue but I've personally never seen it before.

# 4 25-10-2016 , 03:39 PM
Thanks for the reply dude! I had an edge loop issue earlier, because of accidental duplicates being stacked one on top of another, that was resolved.

I'll take a look at the extrusions, hopefully this gets sorted haha, but to help clear things up I have a little screen shot. You'll see the arrow pointed at the top, but the selection is highlighted at the bottom

user added image

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Selection Issue 1 pdf.pdf (249.0 KB, 280 views)

Last edited by GabrielG; 25-10-2016 at 03:42 PM.
# 5 25-10-2016 , 03:49 PM
Yess ok i figured out (i think) what was up, "Highlight backfaces" was deselected in the select tools Common Selection Options.

Clicked it, and now those faces and everything works! (i think)