Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 28-08-2003 , 01:10 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Hmm, after thinking about it, here's an issue... At work, I am given a conceptual drawing to work from. Would you guys prefer to make your own concept, or would it be more interesting for me (or another mod) to provide a concept image and see what kind of take everyone has of it.

I like this! Even if it were to be a single concept, not many final products end up looking identical to the concept. There could even be a certain amount of personal interpretation allowed (such as art deco style, or dali's oozing clocks, or some such). The point wouldn't be for everyone to make identical scenes, but to make your own interpretation of the concept while still being able to identify that concept as the base.

:bgreen:

# 17 28-08-2003 , 01:16 PM
The Maya Mountain
Oh, definitely. My job allows me to do whatever I want, just so long as it remains within the confines of their requirements and has the same feeling as the concept. user added image

# 18 28-08-2003 , 01:20 PM
Subscriber
I think Mike's idea sounds great - I'll tend to try the challenges whatever they are as I have always learnt a lot from them. I hadn't textured anything except weapons before I started modelling for the challenges here.

If one had to pick an environment or character I'd force myself to go environment - I do so little of that it would be great to have a go at it, for the experience and practice. Of course for those of us stuck in normal with the likes of Howard (and now 3dgurl of course) it will be another incidence of ritual humiliation by challenge, but I am used to it now!

I really like the idea. I don't see the harm in having just a few concepts either, everyone has a different way of doing things after all, and perhaps if the concepts were black and white, that would give people the opportunity to make free with colours and textures.

I have the drawing skills of a gibbon with its arms removed however, so asking me to produce a concept is slightly pointless - if the challenge requires that that's the only thing that would stop me entering. And yes, before the professionals point it out in capital letters, that wouldn't get me a job in the 3d industry, but that's fine with me.

# 19 28-08-2003 , 01:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
Hmm, I wonder if there are any concepts at work that they know they're not going to use? user added image I'll have to ask. user added image

# 20 28-08-2003 , 04:27 PM
I don't know... I would want to join the next Challenge, however my charachter making skills are worse than anything user added image

# 21 28-08-2003 , 05:01 PM
Then consider it a challenge to better your character modeling. user added image The whole point of these things are for learning purposes.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 22 28-08-2003 , 05:06 PM
The Maya Mountain
Right now, we're probably limiting it to environmental structures. If nothing else, you'll have a choice of environment or character.

It's still not even final that we'll be doing this.

# 23 28-08-2003 , 05:10 PM
Maybe 2 challenges?

Model the charachter and model say the view from your window.

# 24 28-08-2003 , 05:19 PM
I was thinking as far as environments go, model a realistic sci-fi room or hall interior. You could do so much with that....ghost in a shell style, star wars hexagonal things, catwalks, reactors, organic like the HR Geiger Alien stuff. Or better yet, have a gaming challenge where Mike gives out the guidelines and everyone has to design a level for whatever gaming genre he picks. That would be fairly real world. Now you can see if you could cut it. user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 25 28-08-2003 , 05:23 PM
Yeah that would be sweet!
Maybe not "Realistic" though, I much prefer the look of non-realistic stuff to realistic stuff.

# 26 28-08-2003 , 06:01 PM
I still like my idea. I was acually planning to do it as a wip project, just thouugh a character would be good since the current/last challenge was an enviroment too.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 27 28-08-2003 , 06:03 PM
how about a non modelling based challenge (for once!!) user added image how about an animation challenge? I mean every challenge so far has been about modelling (which is fine user added image) but i think people maybe are assuming that that is all you might end up doing for a job. You dont tend to see many animation WIP it's mostly stills (and cars at the moment user added image)

Just my tuppence worth
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 28 28-08-2003 , 06:06 PM
The Maya Mountain
most jobs are divided as so:

modeling/texturing
rigging/animation
etc

Of course, there are exceptions.

# 29 28-08-2003 , 06:13 PM
that's true I guess, but it's definatley a good idea to have a handle on other stuff too. At my interview they asked me if I knew the basics of compositing and animation etc because if push came to shove them it's a good thing to have under your belt.

Also going on what you said about the divide in the jobs then surely we have satisfied all the modellers so how about the animators..... user added image Maybe take one of the Tute models (rigged or not) and then everyone has to animate the same character...

I mean I'm not a character animator nor am I a particularly good modeller so for someone like me the challenges are a little "unfulfilling" I'm not trying to sound selfish (as if I would user added image) but do you see what I mean?

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 30 28-08-2003 , 06:58 PM
Subscriber
How about an animation challenge or animation mini tournament as a bit of a seperate event?

Or perhaps the challenges could follow on from one another - model a character or environment then make it walk or somethhing walk through it the next month (with supplied models for anyone who had not entered before).

I'd be fairly keen to have a pop at an animation thing, but I have never animated anything but a bouncy ball, and to be honest I'm more than a noobie with animation things. I fear it would be less a challenge and more a time for me to lose all the rest of my hair.