Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-09-2005 , 01:16 AM

Boolean Bug

Hmm, when trying to boolean 2 polygon objects -- they both disappear be it difference, union, or intersect. I know this is a very short question... but I'm running a blank. No clue what's going on.

I should mention I attempted to play with the normals and it still didn't work. Happens on every object I try.

Last edited by Phopojijo; 13-09-2005 at 01:35 AM.
# 2 15-09-2005 , 11:28 AM
Subscriber
Could it be a video card issue? Maybe you need updated drivers or your resolution is set too high?

Another thing you might want to try is renaming your Maya folder and restarting Maya to see whether the default settings will fix it.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas A. Edison
# 3 15-09-2005 , 11:51 AM
Subscriber
Make sure the whole of the element your trying to union etc is completely 'inside' the other.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 4 15-09-2005 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
i too have this problem and have neva bin able to fix it - i find the if u blean an object more than 3 times it always dissappears- hope u fix ur problem as then i will b fixed to

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 5 17-09-2005 , 08:23 AM
i used to have those problems too. still do i guess but took a long break from maya .. user added image( try a poly sfere and a poly cube or two default geometries try to booelan them union.. etc. if that doesn't work then ... well u have a problem user added image from graphics card to some corupted setings.
if they do, intersect each of the objects that didn't work before and see wich one has a problem. like i had a dog torso and a dog leg user added image that disapeared whe i tryied t unite them
so i took a cube and united it with the leg (do make sure that the objects re intersecting. it worked
so i tryied it with the torso. and oops they disapeared. it was clear that the torso had a geometry problem. like nonmanifold geometry. sercha in maya help for details. usualy i select all the object and go to merge vertexes opions, put a smalish number there to make sure my geometry won't be afected, and hit merge. that usualy solved teh problem. boolean are kinda bugy in my opinion.. or i jsut don't understand it ..
for example if it isn't a closed geometry like a sphere or a cube but more as shell like a cilinder without caps... well it must intersect with the object in such a way that it can form an isoparm (the ones that know maya pls corect me, but i don't know how to describe it ....) aa closed line that intersects.
well this was what i found out about booleans. add up or tell me i'm wrong .. i will just learn more user added image

# 6 11-01-2006 , 01:11 PM
Subscriber

Booleans

I have found that problum to.

some of the problums can be fixed if you go to polygons/cleanup/optionbox

try cleaning up some of the geometry.

I have found that it fixes a lot of the problums.

good luck