Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 18-08-2008 , 01:47 AM

Character Animation Demo Reel is up on YouTube please comment !

Hi all

I just want to say that I have uploaded my Character animation Demo Reel to Youtube.

Tell me what you all think, all comments welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjkxrDUF9_w

Best to watch in High Quality !

thanks

Andy Gee

# 2 18-08-2008 , 02:01 AM
I may be new around here, but that looks fantastic to me.

Good job!

# 3 18-08-2008 , 02:17 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Yeah, really good!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 4 18-08-2008 , 05:56 AM
Hi there,
nice work you cleary have a solid understanding of animation.

A few hits and tips.

The shark scene was great, very finished look. However maybe also slip in swim cycles from side/ top angles to show the animation more clearly, though definitely keep in the cinematic shots.

With the cave man, he moved well but the weight of the club felt too light at times. If you where holding somthing that heavy, the balance would be way off, but well animated regardless.

The final two pieces where nice! The overlap was over the top at times and the weight seemed verly slightly inconsistant occasionly.

Apart from that some of the moving holds felt a little awquard.

Overall, very nice reel.

# 5 18-08-2008 , 06:08 AM
Hey Laurie

Thanks for the comments, the shark was meant to be an attack on the viewer, so adding above and side shots wouldn't work for what I want, Will consider it in the future if I decide to add bits.

As for the caveman the focus really was on his walk cycle, Looking at it he does pick it up the club a little to quickly giving it a light feel. Again its all about preference, I didn't want the club to be so heavy that it would take hime 200 frames of animation to swing it, then again if you are swinging something heavy the speed would carry it round fast.

The light and heavy lifter animations They were done a while ago, and my animation skills have come along way since then, overlapping overkill on the heavy lifter you say. Well possibly just a tad, but I tried to convey weight and strain so I decided to give him a weight lifters personality, with a look of, lifting heavy things makes me tired hence the heavy overlapping.

Well this is for my demo reel, and I hope potential employers won't hold these minor things against me, I would be starting at a junior position so I will learn over time.

Thanks for the comments

Andy Gee

Last edited by Andy Gee; 18-08-2008 at 06:11 AM.
# 6 18-08-2008 , 10:07 AM
Subscriber
saw it once after glimpsing over Laurie's post and caught the club looking like it is too light, so i cant give an unbiased opinion on that

looked awesome the first time i saw it. loved the blue lifter and how you animated to show the block was heavy. i though the lifter was going fail at lifting the small block then go to the big one and lift that with no problem :p

watched it again after reading Lauries post and i noticed the caveman's legs went through his clothes a few times.

the pink bellarina's (can't spell) movements looks a little rigid... ut maybe she isn't the graceful dancer type? :p

i thought it was still awesome regardless

hope it gets you picked up by an employer!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 18-08-2008 , 10:16 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
watched it again after reading Lauries post and i noticed the caveman's legs went through his clothes a few times.

my bad. i'm wrong about that. i got confuzzled with the cloth and the leg colours

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 29-08-2008 , 05:50 PM
Subscriber
nice animation reel you have here, crits have already been mentioned ...

goodluck in getting into the industry user added image

# 9 29-08-2008 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber
nice work. The shark attack was very interesting...

New here and learning as much as i can..