Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 16-09-2004 , 02:57 AM

Some of my character concept drawings...

Hello everyone! I decided to upload some of the concept sketches of human characters I drew for characters for a fantasy/medieval RPG type of game. This is the first image of one of the main male characters...I have not yet decided a name for him, so I am open to any suggestions as to what I could name him! user added image The background these characters are in are supposed to display some aspect of their personality (for instance, in this image he is surrounded by rocks and lightning is striking his sword and vines wrapping around his leg, yet the fact that he is still standing strong is supposed to show that he is brave and fearless). I would have uploaded my other image as well, yet unfortunately the pic did not save correctly. user added image I will post it when I can scan it in again tomorrow hopefully.... Also, these images will be painted in Photoshop, and then of all of the characters I do, one of the female characters will be modeled in 3D (and this will serve as the female character I did not finish awhile back).

~C.G.P.

Attached Thumbnails

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)

Last edited by CGPMaya84; 16-09-2004 at 03:00 AM.
# 2 16-09-2004 , 03:08 AM
Nice drawing.... good pose and over all composition. Jusr watch some of the anatomy in the arms. The arm on the right from the elbow to the wrist looks a bit to long.

Keep drawing

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 16-09-2004 , 04:04 AM
Thanks for the compliments and advice Kurt...I can always fix the arm on the right once I start painting it in Photoshop. user added image Hopefully soon I can post my female concept sketch...it is a little better proportioned, I think.

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)
# 4 16-09-2004 , 04:54 AM
Subscriber
Looking good. Maybe just a little spot for improvement. the belt and chest area looks like its centered like the character's body is square in the seen but the legs arms and shoulders are saying he's termed a bit. Possibly move the lines on the front side of torso more to the right with out disturbing the outline.

Keep it up.

# 5 18-09-2004 , 12:45 AM
Thanks Pony for the advice about the torso...I will fix it once I start to digitally paint the image. Now...I am FINALLY able to post my female concept sketch drawing. It is actually an altered version of an earlier concept sketch I posted for my 3D model awhile back...but I like this version a lot better! user added image Comments and crits are welcome. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 18-09-2004 , 02:22 AM
Subscriber
Cool. nice style on the tree and birds. She looks fine, only little thing is the jaw line. could be a little lower on her face buy the ears.

just a opinion thing,, all of the wrapping around legs and arms doesn’t seam to work for me. Makes me think more of a mummy with it being that extensive.

Way cool though overall. You planning on 3d-ing these ?

# 7 18-09-2004 , 03:49 AM
Thanks for the advice about the jawline Pony...I will take a look at it and see if it needs to be fixed up. Also, thank you for your nice comments on my drawing! user added image Also, the "wrappings" around her legs won't be white, so don't worry, she will not resemble a mummy! :p They are going to be black, kind of like the ones I posted in my first sketch of her awhile back...also, only one of these characters is going to be modeled for my class (which is this girl character I just posted). The others are just concept artworks I need to digitally paint for the course I am taking at college. I am also posting them in case anybody wants to model any of my concept characters. Just give me credit for coming up with the idea. user added image

# 8 18-09-2004 , 07:46 PM
Hi CGPMaya84, I really like the bottom sketch, I personally like the wrappings, I think they look sexy no matter what color they might end up being, as long as some skin shows through. user added image

# 9 19-09-2004 , 05:29 AM
Thanks Contrast. user added image I am glad you like my character! user added image Aside from making a 3D model of her, I also plan on making a costume and dressing up as the "previous version" of her for halloween (the earlier drawing of her does not have any armor on her chest, shoulders, nor knees), since I really don't have anything I can use to make the armor. :p

# 10 03-10-2004 , 09:25 PM

Update on my female concept character...

Hi everyone! I know it has been awhile since my last update...but I thought I would post more progress on the concept character of the girl painted in Photoshop. I finished the girl and the sword...and I plan on changing the background to a background of a part of my campus...my teacher gave me the idea...along with having each of my characters resemble somebody in my class! user added image This character is based off of myself, and some other ones will be based on other students in my Comp. Art class. This is the one that will be modeled in 3D though for the course. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated! user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 05-10-2004 , 02:12 AM
You're getting too much contrast. If you're using the dodge and burn tools, lighten up on the exposure. Try using a setting of around 10 and layer on the tones.

Also, before you put all of your effort in the character, try defining what time of the day it is in your environment. That way, it will help you decide the colors and tonal range on your character.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 12 05-10-2004 , 09:43 PM
Thanks for the advice Dave...I tend to get burn and dodge tool crazy, I guess you could say...lol! I will see what I can do to fix it, or maybe I can make it so it is more of a sunset/evening scene, so the shadows will need to be dark anyway. user added image I began on my sketch for the next person in my class, and when I get the chance I will post it online...

# 13 13-10-2004 , 01:59 PM

My self-portrait character concept...finished???

Well, here is what I have of my self-portrait female character concept in Photoshop so far...I am not sure if it is finished or not or what else I should do to it for any final touches. What do you all think? I also did one with sun rays beaming down on the character, and I am not sure if I should have the light rays or not...any comments or suggestions anyone? I will post both the one with the light rays and without. Please tell me which you think I should use, for C&C is always welcome! user added image Here is the pic WITH the sun rays:

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 13-10-2004 , 02:07 PM
...and finally....here is the pic withOUT the sun rays. I think I prefer it with (the one in the previous post)...but I don't know if I went overboard on the light rays or not. Which one do you all prefer?

Attached Thumbnails

# 15 13-10-2004 , 02:55 PM
You're still very heavy on the dodge and burn. You have light coming in from the top left yet there are no shadows lower right. The brown in her skin is the same as the brown in the background which makes her blend in. Still needs lots of refinement.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu