Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 12-03-2004 , 05:44 PM

japanese room and sumi

Hey everyone!
I just signed up, I was brought over here by dannyngan (teacher) and scopa (fellow student).

I'm a student at the U of Oregon, just finished 3D Imaging, will be starting 3D animation production next term- so be prepared for lots of questions!

I would like some feedback on the project I just turned in.
I still consider it a work in progress, but I'm happy with what the class was shown.

a sequence of stills can be found at:
https://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~rcarve...umi/start.html

just click on the images to continue.

Things I will be adding/ changing:
I will be adding a hanging lamp in the japanese room, and probably developing the whole room a little further.

At the initial design stage, the monk was not a central character, so I did not spend much time building him, and it shows- this will be the longest stage of revision, but he needs to be completely re-designed and modelled.

The temple needs to be retextured, and a little more time needs to be spent integrating it into the scene.

The final scene needs a few more frames.

This is a fully animated piece, but for now I only have stills uploaded.

Thanks!
Robbie

where's the button that makes this look
good?

Last edited by rcarver; 14-03-2004 at 05:51 PM.
# 2 12-03-2004 , 06:36 PM
hey I like it! I like the NPR style on the garden section. It's an interesting blend of colours.

Some of the things in the room bug me a little though. I can see some dodgy procedural textures on your painting's border for example. I would texture map that to keep it like the rest of the piece. The kettle looks a little squashed as well.

You know what might add to this tremendously some volumetric lighting. You know with some nice dust particles floating around and stuff. I think that would add a lot t o the ambience of the room (which I feel is a little lacking at the moment).

Lighting wise I think you're doing ok, I would tone down the glow on the middle window part though.

Cheers
Alan

Ps. Welcome to SM! user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 12-03-2004 , 07:24 PM
Very Nice !! how about some light rays in the room, that would be nice.

# 4 12-03-2004 , 09:05 PM
Thanks for the comments!

I've never fiddled with volumetric lighting, but I definately agree that would help, so ill give it a shot.

The border on the painting is a texture map, but I need to tweak it a bit more.

I want to add an actual oudoor section, with a deck and maybe a rock garden below it, the glow was there to hide the fact that there was nothing beyond the room.

Thanks for your feedback!

where's the button that makes this look
good?
# 5 12-03-2004 , 11:41 PM
Subscriber
Looks very cool. Interesting concept. I think the glow works, atleast in the final shot where he enters the 'real' room. I'll be sure to check out the final anim. Not much to crit on.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 6 13-03-2004 , 08:24 AM
sweet! you signed up!

Glad you posted your project, it really deserves a larger forum than the class room.

"On the other hand... the early worm gets eaten."
# 7 16-03-2004 , 07:07 PM
Nice! I like the render, nice lighting.

-------------------------------------------
# 8 17-03-2004 , 08:18 AM
Subscriber
wow I really like your style!! keep on going..i'd love to see some more of this! user added image

GreeTzz RanSicK