Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-09-2003 , 02:04 PM

Chaos general WIP

Well, so after finishing the exams, and spending 2 weeks wasted and other looking some tuts, seeing i couldnt make a startup with 25000€ and lacking programmers, and then searching some work to no avail... I tought ill make something with maya in the 2 weeks that i have until uni starts again...

I while undusting the closets i saw a game i played some years ago: warhammer... And remembered the star of my show army: the chaos general... He was a bad ass beast... Imagine him charging to a enemy unit and the results being like Sauron swinging its hammer on LOTR...user added image (gotta play one battle again one of this days...)

The General concept
Well, this guy is mad, bad and dangerous to know, he has sworn loyalty to the god of war and he has rewarded with a number of "gifts": The frist one is that he has grown a grim, disquieting, black steel armor... yes it grew from his skin (damn uncomfortable i guess).
He wears a flaming sword and rides a black 2 headed fire breathing horse/spawn whose hoofs make the land in fire wherever he goes...

I guess ill start with tha horse beast... dunno if it will have barding

Last edited by dragonfx; 25-09-2003 at 02:45 PM.
# 2 25-09-2003 , 02:44 PM
all i see is a screenshot of maya with a white blank, nothing in the viewport :s

Windows has detected movement of your mouse,
You need to reboot your system for changes to take effect.
# 3 25-09-2003 , 02:55 PM
D´oh
i always say it: "feel the power of the "D´oh"
lets see if i fix it...
yep

comments on two headed horses anatomy anyone? 3dgurl? i feel its not "right" not just the two heads... proportions maybe...

its a revamp from one of the frist modeling tutorals i did on imefe, it was meant to be a normal lowpoly horse so i´m still reworking the edgeflow for utputting it well on Subds (tough it looks better triangulated... its damn inefficient... but looks better...)

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by dragonfx; 25-09-2003 at 02:59 PM.
# 4 25-09-2003 , 03:02 PM
uh yes TROGDOOOORRRRR!, ragecgi, do you use ICQ sometimes? or something? i have loads of questions about paticles for controlling the fires... user added image

Last edited by dragonfx; 25-09-2003 at 03:07 PM.
# 5 25-09-2003 , 03:02 PM
looks really good, the only crit i have is that , to me , the legs seem a bit short .

Windows has detected movement of your mouse,
You need to reboot your system for changes to take effect.
# 6 25-09-2003 , 03:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
the body seems large compared to the head(s). Nice job so far. user added image I agree, legs seem short.

# 7 25-09-2003 , 04:29 PM

nice!

the legs are to short and thin.
maybe this monster has fat muscles!
right?

details on body comming?
horses haing mutch more muscular detailes...

go on!

https://lab.palindrom.ch
https://www.achermann.cc
: daijobe desu :
# 8 25-09-2003 , 05:24 PM
Subscriber
If you make the heads bigger I think it would even out the proportions. Remember to research your horse.... Morgans have short legs and are fatter , thoroughbreds have long legs and tend to be skinnier with more muscles and quarter horses are inbetween and stocky. Hope this helps.

# 9 25-09-2003 , 05:34 PM
Subscriber
www.fineart.sk

Has some nice stuff on horse anatomy as do a lot of 2D drawing sites as horses seem popular with those talented people that draw things.

# 10 25-09-2003 , 05:42 PM
been working on the edge flow... when i end i will "explode" (not a command, just a way of speak user added image) it to get the muscular look and deformed it so it has a bigger head and legs, i think it looks well on front top, but i have the impression i overdid side and perspective... what do you think?
the reference is lost was a drawing from tha professor... can you linkme to a good horsepics site? (will be loads useful on texturing)

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by dragonfx; 25-09-2003 at 05:45 PM.
# 11 25-09-2003 , 05:50 PM
take a look at the mesh tri converted again... it looks better more muscular... pity subds dont like tris...user added image

Attached Images
# 12 25-09-2003 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber
The area from the knees down the pastern and fetlocks on the foreleg looks odd, the pastern is too far forward to the point where it looks spavined.

I'd say the body looks like that of a young horse (the depth from the withers to the girth is fairly shallow and stifle to loin is undeveloped).

The rear hocks come out too far unless you are making a quarter horse. The head is a bit large for the body and the legs are too short for the size of the head. The chest muscle looks good, the one over the shoulder is a bit high.

Sorry if that sounds horribly critical, it really is only a matter of adjusting proportions, but as a rider and horse fan it's hard not to notice where the anatomy of a horse doesn't look right.

I would suggest that Ice Queen hit the nail absolutely on the head; it might pay to find some pics of the sort of horse you want to create and then adjust the proportions and anatomy accordingly. If you are going for a steed of choas you might want to pick quick a hefty horse.

There's a few breeds to get you started;

https://www.bhs.org.uk/Breeds/Breed-index.htm

and a google search for horsee anatomy should turn up some nice drawings of the whole and different parts.

Last edited by Witchy; 25-09-2003 at 06:18 PM.
# 13 25-09-2003 , 06:24 PM
looks like i will deform it to look like a shire... (its cool cause im gonna try that the fire from the hoofs be in the place of the white on the pic of that page)... or maybe a percheron or a toughbred (or a mix in between)...
what kind of horse was prefered in the middle ages for warhorses?

# 14 25-09-2003 , 06:26 PM
Subscriber
Aqui lo tienes muchacho =P

Overall its looking good heres my suggestions:

Attached Thumbnails

# 15 25-09-2003 , 06:31 PM
Subscriber
In the middle ages it would have been heavier than the horse pictured above.

The back leg fetlock and pastern is not that straight nor that short on all horses incidentally, although I am loathe to criticise a comment made by 3dgurl as she will no doubt just tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.