Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 16-05-2004 , 04:37 PM

Making a First-Person Shooter

For my Senior Project at the University of Utah, we are going to be making a first-person shooter from the ground up. I will be using Maya for all my modeling and am currently working on the map that the shooter will take place in. Since this is completely new to me, I was wondering if anyone has some advice, links, and or tutorials that will help me accomplish the mission at hand. Thanks,
-TDO

# 2 16-05-2004 , 08:49 PM
uhhh, well your at the right places for maya tutorials, thats a great start user added image... you can try the free tutorials first, if you like it you can buy points to download a lot of other tutorials, goodluck

# 3 22-05-2004 , 07:33 AM
Subscriber
What Game design or plat fourm are you going to be using? Be for I reply. user added image

# 4 22-05-2004 , 02:35 PM
The Maya Mountain
Well, only thing I can say, is to pay attention to your programmers. They should be able to tell you stuff like, the polycounts to shoot for, texture resolutions and number, etc.

# 5 22-05-2004 , 02:52 PM
I appreciate your responses. To be more specific:
There will be 3 people working on this first-person shooter. We are Computer Science majors at the University of Utah but have never done anything like this before. It will be for our Senior Project which is due at the end of Spring Semester 2005. My brother works for the studio that makes EA's Tiger Woods golf, so hopefully we can glean something from them. At this point we have decided to use Direct X, Maya, C++, and Photoshop, mainly because that is what they use at my brother's studio. It will be developed for the PC so we have a little more freedom with polycount and textures. Hopefully this new information makes it easier to respond.
-TDO

# 6 22-05-2004 , 03:01 PM
Sorry, one more thing. The main thing that we concerned with is making this game multi-player, but are also discussing single player AI. The multi-player will be head to head, Team Slayer or FFA Slayer modes. We want it to have the feel of Rainbow Six 3, or a similar game. The purpose of this project is not to make a best-seller, but to demonstrate to the industry that we are worth hiring so we can later make a best seller. user added image
-TDO

# 7 22-05-2004 , 04:16 PM
Subscriber
wow that's a cool project! ...Im just a noob so don't expect anything from me but I just wanted to support you and your team with some nice words! I hope that you can show us all some progress in the future and Im qurious if you guys pull this off, what the result of that will be!
Good luck to ya!
cya aroud...

greetzZz RanSicK

# 8 22-05-2004 , 05:34 PM
Subscriber
I do a little coding/Modeling/Mapping for a Mod I’m in with the Unreal engine, I’m not sure if you use that software or not, but they have a DVD out that will teach you every thing you need to know for that engine, from Maya modeling to C+C scripting and Karma, HERE'S the link if you want to check it out.user added image

# 9 22-05-2004 , 06:59 PM
Thanks a bunch guys. If you think of anything else please let me know, and I will keep you all updated.

# 10 28-05-2004 , 02:01 PM
Subscriber
My only comment is that you shouldnt expect too much help from EA. I have a friend who is working for Ubisoft here in montreal and their deadlines are so short that they dont have a minute to spare. Maybe (and I hope it is for you) different at your bro studio.

If you are allowed to use opensoftware, I recommend looking at crystalspace. They have a great engine, coded in OpenGL with most of the borring stuff already done so you could concentrate on the game itself. After all, as a mac user, I have to make sure that developpers know about MS alternatives...

Good luck!

# 11 29-05-2004 , 11:53 PM
Let's just all hope that it won't fale miserably like it always does when you do a 'game-project' for the first time user added image.
my first time was horrible but fun!
Team-work s*** a** and alot of guys didn't know what they where doing.

but still good luck mate!

# 12 30-05-2004 , 10:23 AM
are you guys going to program the engine or just use an existing one/make a total conversion?

i did in fact considered making a game like a year ago
Frist i tried to plan a software company as at the time there were subventions and favorable credit conditions... with an initial 1000€ inversion i could pull 50000€ to make it but as i deep planned it arrived to a conclusion: you cant have sellable game done with 50000€... thats peanuts... and i mean just the game (engine+art+integration/testing... with offices, hardware, paying workers, buying apropiate software, etc...) , supposing you would sell it to a distributor that makes you the marketing, CD/DVD production packaging and distribution) the minimum(and i mean minimum with best of lucks) was 500000€+9months...

that being said....
on the peers group level:
c# managed direct3d runs 10% to 30% slower than (very well coded)c++... but it is simpler and it is managed and do you know someone that can make state of the art c++ direct3d code?

Last edited by dragonfx; 30-05-2004 at 10:43 AM.