Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-04-2004 , 09:13 AM

Boolean Problem

On more than one occasion, while doing polygon booleans I get and error dealing with ResolveNonSolidShell and both of my geometries dissapear. Has anyone encounted this before? I tried doing some testing to see what was making it do this, but I'm not getting anything user added image Any help would be appreciated.

# 2 11-04-2004 , 11:31 AM
Subscriber
make sure both objects are intersecting properly, and careful about the order of selection

# 3 11-04-2004 , 04:16 PM
I know for sure they're intersecting and I'm selecting them right. Whats weird is both pieces are dissapearing. Any other theories?

# 4 11-04-2004 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber
yea make sure their normals are facing the same direction

# 5 11-04-2004 , 11:13 PM
Nope user added image That was one of the things I checked and I just double checked it now. Normals are good to go, but both objects are still dissapearing. I'm stumped.

# 6 12-04-2004 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber
I was actually having some Boolean glitches occuring as well. I tried to commit a Boolean on two Polygon objects and when I try to apply it, the entire scene disappeared from the viewpanel.

# 7 12-04-2004 , 04:09 PM
Kinda sounds like a graphic card problem...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 8 12-04-2004 , 09:47 PM
If it was a hardware problem Kurt, would it still give me an error in maya? Every time it happens I get a ResolveNonSolidShell message. Oh, an I've got a GeForce4 with all the latest drivers user added image
This is turning out to be harder than I thought it would.

# 9 12-04-2004 , 11:06 PM
still thinking on what it could be.... my booleans worked fine used them today....

Are you sure both objects are definatly insecting one another?

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 10 12-04-2004 , 11:32 PM
My booleans work fine as well, except in these few instances. I've done about 10 different tests and the boolean always works, except when I try in on this specific Geometry. I've attached the file where it isnt working. As you'll see trying to do a difference boolean (subtracting the stretched cube from the other model) results both disappearing, or it does for me. Could someone possilbly take a look at it and see if it does the same for someone else?

Edit:: To clear it up, if the objects were'nt intersecting, then only the second object selected would disappear, not both. So I'm sure it isnt that.

Attached Files
File Type: mb boolean problem.mb (49.5 KB, 224 views)
# 11 13-04-2004 , 12:02 AM
Ok dude.... figured out what was wrong.. even though your geometry edges looked like they where all closed off, you had a few edges that where not merged and had 1 or 2 extra faces..

This was causing maya not to make the operation work.. Heres a file i did for you a added a few edges hope you dont mind... worked first time for me chang it anyway you need. And you mght want to add a few more edges to make the goe nice and clean with quads you have a few 5 side faces still.

Attached Files
File Type: mb boolean problemkurt.mb (58.1 KB, 229 views)

# 12 13-04-2004 , 12:08 AM
Awesome! I knew it had to be something stupid. Thanks a bunch for looking at it. Yeah, the geometry hasn't been cleaned up yet, had planned on doing that after I got everything made. Anyways, thanks again!

# 13 16-05-2004 , 01:05 AM
I'm having this problem repeatedly. Is there a way to automatically close edges?

# 14 16-05-2004 , 08:32 AM
Only thing I can think of is select all your vertices and them merge them with a pretty low setting on.