Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 18-08-2004 , 04:42 PM

Newbie trying to understand Curves

Ok I am trying to do a Ford Focus Tut. First I am making the wheel. Now the Tut says.

Create a profile cure using EP Curve Tool and place it accordingly to the image.

Does that mean create one circle of the wheel or two(One for each side) I have tried both and I don't come close to what the Tutorial comes up with after I Revolve the Surface.

Here is a Picture of what the Tut has.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 18-08-2004 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
The curve needs to be what the surface of the the revolved surface in that image looks like. It will be generally like a line, but with some slight curvature on both ends fom what I can see. The PIVOT POINT of your curve is extremely important and essential to revolving your curve to form the shape you're wanting. See where the middle of that circular object is? That's where your pivot point needs to be and your curve needs to lie where the surface of the revolved surface is.

The idea is that the curve will be rotated in a 360 circle based upon the location of the curve's pivot point. If you still can't figure it out, I'll be happy to explain further with pictures and examples.

# 3 19-08-2004 , 02:17 PM
Dark if you could draw me a Curve of the wheel so I can put a picture to what you are saying I would be very greatfull. Just the curve not the Revolved Surface.

Thanks Shag.

# 4 19-08-2004 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
In image 1 you have a curve with the pivot point far below it. When revolved, it gives you a shape similar to what you are trying to achieve. (image 2)

In image 3, you have the same curve that has the pivot point very close to it. This produces the shape you see in image 4.

So as you can see, the farther away the pivot point is, the more geometry you'll end up having.

How do you change the pivot point? Select your object, select the translate (move) tool in Maya, press the INSERT button on your KEYBOARD, grab the pivot thingamajigger and move it where ever you want, press the INSERT key again.

Attached Images
# 5 19-08-2004 , 05:30 PM
Thanks Dark that has help out a great deal.