Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 26-09-2004 , 07:02 PM

Extrude help please!

In following Kurt Boutiliers tut of the cartoon dog, there is an extrude function used in the mouth area. In the video, he extrudes the inside mouth area, then deletes the outter faces which appears to work wonderfully for him. When I do it <maya 5.0>, there are many more faces to delete running at angles that are not in his. I've checked my extrude configuration and all looks good. Anyway, after deleting all for the proper effect, as well as merging vertices...yada..yada..yada....I convert from poly to sub D for the smooth effect...the mouth area in question has been converted to several ovalular patches, not a smooth, one piece....
Any ideas?

# 2 26-09-2004 , 11:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
Make sure Keep Faces Together is on. You can find it at Polygons > Tool Options

# 3 27-09-2004 , 01:23 AM

Thank you for replay

Thank you for your response. That could be the problem, Kurt never mentioned that, and being as I accidently saved AFTER the erroneous extrusion...I'll have to start almost over again to try it out. So I won't know for a bit, I've got to go out of town tomorrow...I'll try it next weekend.