1) UV Map the object.
2) Lay out the UVs into the upper-right quadrant of the UV Texture Editor
3) Take a snapshot of the UV layout from the UV Texture Editor.
4) Open the snapshot in Photoshop (or its equivalent).
5) Create the texture, using the snapshot as your guide.
6) Map the texture to a material and apply the material to the object.
well, for the trex and face, i would like to map specific thigs to certain parts of the object. While on the lightsaber I would like to just map a photo of a saber over top of the 3d model I have created.
SimplyMaya specialises in Maya tutorials. We offer over 1,000 individual Maya training videos, ranging from basic Maya tutorials through to intermediate Maya tutorials. Our tutorials are created by instructors with industry experience and are designed to get you up and running in Maya quickly without making it seem like hard work.