Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-10-2004 , 06:37 PM

Konoha Gear: Ninja, Anime

I decided to model some equipment from the anime Naruto.

the knifes and ninja stars are pretty consitant with how they look int he anime, the scrolls i did in my own style(it was a pain finging any images of the scrolls they have).

The textured need some major major tweaking as i couldnt decide the scene for them to be in.

The Kunia stuck in the table i will prolly take out. And i plan to add a Konoha Forhead protector(symbol of the village), and a Tool bag(holds about 12 small stars, 2-3 Knifes and sometimes a scroll).

The table i plan to give a wood texture to it. Floor i want a plank style floor like in a house. And for walls i may make Dojo walls. or a training room type. I dont plan an animation.

On question:

The kunia in the table i was planning on having the table crack/split where it stuck in.
But i have a ninja star with the same style tip(4 point 6 side small slope), And i threw it very hard into the same style of wood as a table and no crack formed, only a gouge the same size as the blade. holding it into the table, and you coudl only see the blade disapear into the table. I triad the same with a throwing knife and the same thing happened.

Shoudl i do what seems more asthetically pleasing or what actually happends?

Attached Thumbnails

# 2 27-10-2004 , 07:46 PM
Subscriber
Hhmmm... interesting question. Have u tried it with different types of wood? Because some of the softer woods mite readily split. And I suppose it depends on how much force the knife impacts with.

Most anime style images use exaggeration to emphasise ability. The master plants the knife in with such force that it buries almost to the hilt, which is sure to crack the wood. So i guess it depends what u want too show, a knife thats been 'placed' in the the table, or a knife thats been rammed into the table. user added image I'd go for the later user added image Especially for the anime effect

# 3 28-10-2004 , 11:49 PM
i was kinda going for the effect it was tossed and stuck into the table.

Ive used my knifes and stars on various woods. from plyboard and carbon board to oak and ceder. The only wood ive seen "Split" is harder woods, and only if you sink the blade in beyond the normal depth(like throwing unrealistically fast) And the plyboard and carbon board just break and peel... so i think its pretty realistic it doesnt split.

The anime effect of it splitting would prolly fit, but how do you model a crack?

# 4 28-10-2004 , 11:57 PM
Subscriber
Usually cracks in wood go all the way through and leave a visible seam going along the grain of the wood. Thats assuming that the blade is parallel, or close, to the grain. So maybe cutting an actual hole in the table near to the blade and doing the seam either way as part of texturing.

I'm not a master of these things so its just a suggestion...

# 5 30-10-2004 , 12:38 AM
i think your right. Im just trying to think of how to make a realistic crack...