Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-12-2004 , 01:32 AM

how do you make a level like in a video game?

i just want to know how to make a level like in a video gameuser added image

# 2 22-12-2004 , 09:02 AM
with polygons and texturesuser added image

its no different to model than anything else, just make sure you have enough polies to make repeated textures look good, and add any odd details you want.

you can use Vertex shading to bake in some shadows (most game engines will support this, i think, some of the newer ones allow dynamic lighting, so no need for baking).

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 3 22-12-2004 , 09:13 AM
Subscriber
good question - i have a follow up questio on that, what software would i use to import/create that level into a game itself, Say something like Medal of honor or Counterstrike?

# 4 22-12-2004 , 07:47 PM
The Maya Mountain
depends on the game

# 5 22-12-2004 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber
what depeneds on the game?

what are the differences?

# 6 22-12-2004 , 09:05 PM
Every game has its own import/export set of tools, For instance I believe UT2004 only accepts UnrealEd-made models, or those following the same format. Halo CE on the other hand (PS. CE's the better version of PC free for anyone with a valid version of PC, custom maps allowed) uses a program called Blitzkreig which takes models from 3ds Max 5/6 and imports them into a JMS file format, which then is mixed in to a .map file with all the bitmaps, sounds, triggers, music, etc.

There's no defined convention... just go and look at modding sites for whichever game you wish to mod, the tools should be there. Note: Most games prefer 3ds max over Maya. Some use GMax, which is a cut-down version of 3ds max for free.

The basics behind level making, however, is that you have a giant 3d model and people walk on it.

# 7 22-12-2004 , 09:43 PM
Subscriber
If there's anyone out there that knows something about making MOD's, how about a tutorial or some links to some that you know of? I'd really like to know stuff like the do's and don't's of MODding (graphics of course)

# 8 22-12-2004 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber
Source SDK Here you will find help on using SDK tools that you can get with a copy of Half-Life 2.

moddb This is a general modding side, contains some nice tutorials and also check out the forums.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 9 22-12-2004 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber