Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 18-03-2005 , 07:07 PM

Advanced(?) Cell Shading Question

Although I'm not sure that this is too advanced, I have actually gotten the basics of cell shading down, so it's a little more advanced, anyways ^^;;

Anyways, I have used the excellent tutorial at https://www.fenriz.org/projects/maya/..._shading_i.php to get cell shading from Mental Ray shaders and have succeeded in getting the cell shading effect very well. This image is just for example purposes:
user added image
My question is how would I go about getting outlines around the whole outside of a group of objects, or combined objects, like, for example, in a cell shaded game where characters are outlined from the background, but not necessarily all the sections that make up the character. Something like the following (photoshopped):
user added image
With or without the lines separating each part, I'd like to know both.

Anyone who knoes how to do this, I'd really appreciate the help! Thanks!

- Jesse

# 2 18-03-2005 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
look at the attribute editor on the shader, and search around for any clues on the thickness of the outline, i did this a long time ago, well, lol, maybe a 2 weeks ago, but what ever, not sure if this will help at all

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 3 19-03-2005 , 04:52 AM
The thickness on the contour affects all the lines. I know how to do that. I'm not asking how to get a thicker line, but how to get a line around the entire object. Maybe this is a better example of what I want:
user added image
I want to get a line just around the entire thing, not each individual object. Sorry for the confusion ^^;

Anyone know how to do this?

- Jesse