Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 28-04-2005 , 10:34 AM
Subscriber
this one is really great. I like it very much. Its odveusly comeing out how you want it. Only C+C I got is with lips like that. and the permanit frown, might be cool to have a little bit more of a puch at the corners of the mouth. I really really like that double little tip on the horns, a great little detail that really sets this apart.

# 17 28-04-2005 , 12:11 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Pony
Hows it going. Thanks for the crit, yeah they do kinda look a little flat in those areas, I'm sure after a bit of a tickle they'll be fine.
As for the frown Im gonna keep him frowning as its part of the character but he'll have some other expressions all the same just not happy onesuser added image

Glad you like anyway

_J

# 18 29-04-2005 , 09:17 PM
Hey guys

Getting there now and a wire too!!
user added image

_J

# 19 29-04-2005 , 09:24 PM
Sweet Jango!

Awesome model... wish my geometry would come out as nice as yours, but I guess that comes with practise (and more practise).

Any idea how many hours you've spent on this?

# 20 29-04-2005 , 09:40 PM
Hey DJ

Thanks, yeah just practice, and even more practice, but the will to go that bit more makes the difference too.

As for total time on it if I added up the evenings and thats not constantly doing it as the first blocking out only took around an hour (from scratch) I 'd say around...ooo dunno 2days- max and thats just doing the evenings! I have a feeling though its less.

A good way to improve your speed and quality on something like this is time yourself for 1 hour on a model like this and thats all.

What will happen is this: The first one will be, basically a mess, proportions etc wont be right so theres your first level to go to, the next level up is to start perfecting your mesh along with proportions, then after that its going to be more in the way of form plus the other two, mesh and proportions, and so on etc. But because of the time frame you WILL improve quite fast over a month or so. I got into a habit of doing this with my colleagues for an hour every Friday, it makes a big difference. You'll become so aware of everything eventually and then it all slots gradually into place as your experience grows. Give it a go, 1 hour only, and be honest, otherwise you're only kidding yourself.

MAybe the mods should set this challenge weekly, if not I might do it at my site

_J

# 21 29-04-2005 , 10:41 PM
That's a great idea, Jango. Will try that, model a head for one hour and look what I get (but I swear I wont show it to no one)user added image So far with the heads I did, I've "cheated" by looking at tutorials for the basic shape. So this could be interesting user added image

# 22 30-04-2005 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber
I notice in the wire that the horns are twisted, but it doesn't really show in the smooth. Will the texturing restore the twisting?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 23 30-04-2005 , 03:36 PM
Hey Guys

Thanks.

DJ: good luck with that, you'll be fine. Reading a tutorial is not cheating, its learning, like everything else in life, is reading a Maya Manual cheating? No. You read to learn.

mhcannon: Indeed!

Regards

_J

Last edited by Jay; 30-04-2005 at 03:38 PM.
# 24 30-04-2005 , 05:18 PM
Really nice!!!

# 25 30-04-2005 , 06:50 PM
Hey sav

Hows it going? thanks glad you like it

_J

# 26 02-05-2005 , 07:40 PM
Hey Guys

Me not been feeling too good, boo hoo!!!

Have just started to block in the clothing now, enjoy!!user added image

_J

# 27 04-05-2005 , 06:56 PM
Hey Dudesand Dudettes

Update for you, enjoy

user added image

Laters
_J

# 28 04-05-2005 , 07:16 PM
Subscriber
Looks really good!

This is going to sound dumb, but is the clothing actually his body? or do you create the body and then create clothing on top of it?

Cheers
Paul

# 29 04-05-2005 , 07:22 PM
BMS

No thats not a dumb question and thanks!! The Waist Jacket is created from the under garment mesh then altered a bit, theres no actual body under there either, I only build what Im gonna see. Hope this helps

_J

# 30 04-05-2005 , 07:37 PM
hey Jango,

Nice job on the clothing so far.

Keep up the good wprk!