Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 76 02-06-2005 , 10:52 PM
Looks really good jango:attn: Looking forward to seeing an electric arc in the forearm.

# 77 03-06-2005 , 01:26 PM
do you have any model under your clothes?or is that not needed?i thought when animating clothes then theres something needed UNDER the cloth where the cloth orients on...maybe u dont wanna animate

# 78 03-06-2005 , 05:27 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dragonhawk

No not doing cloth. I cant afford Unlimited like some of you lucky dudes so Im using Complete.

I think Ive told you before a couple of times, its not for animation its for a graphic novel so it will be poses only

Thanks for the other comments gus, all appreciated

_J

# 79 03-06-2005 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber

Jango its always a treat to see what new model your working on, I've said once and I'll say it again.. (well not out loud) lol. The clothing you produce is absolutely amazing, and even if you did a simple how to design a boot, pants and shirt tutorial I'd paid to see that.

https://www.verticalincline.com
# 80 03-06-2005 , 11:56 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, great work. But I do have a suggestion, I know you have already said that this is the final model before texturing, but I might want to put some more mechanical stuff in his forearm. It seems really bare, I dont think he would be able to get much mobility in his wrist with that structure. But great work, really great work :attn:

# 81 04-06-2005 , 12:09 AM
Subscriber
For right forearm, why not forego the wire spans entirely? Just have the arc connecting the hand.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 82 04-06-2005 , 01:07 AM
Subscriber
HUH user added image Im not quite sure what you mean. Maybe put it in leymans (Ryan's (thats me)) terms. Are you suggesting getting rid of the whole forearm? Sorry, dont really comphrehend.

PS. This is directed to mhcannon

# 83 04-06-2005 , 06:19 AM
Subscriber
Yep. I think it might be pretty cool if the only thing connecting the hand to the upper arm is the electrical arc. just a thought

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 04-06-2005 at 06:25 AM.
# 84 04-06-2005 , 08:35 AM
Hey Guys thanks

First off;

BillyZ: Thanks, although doing the clothes and stuff is real easy. I think I posted a 'how to' on the other character before this one. I'll PM you anyway later with some info.

AlienScience: I think I did mention it b4 but its suppose to be old technology in a Frankensteins monster Kind of way: simple and clunky. Hence the arcing thats going to be put in there, thats the bit that'll hold it together. Similar too, to the Pod Racers in Star Wars the arc hold the engines together, the design is simple there too. 2 engines and a cockpit.

Michael: I did think about that one, I still might:bandit:

Thanks again guys

_Jay

# 85 04-06-2005 , 08:38 AM

# 86 04-06-2005 , 12:15 PM
Subscriber
wow, that's an awesome character Jango. Man you sure can organic model. I still have a lot of work to go on to improve my organic stuff.

Thanks for the link on the clothing workflow tips that was a great screen grab showing the steps...Great workaround for those of us poor dudes that can't afford Unlimited. My guess is modeling the clothes the old fashion way is less intense on the CPU, although I'm sure animating would prove challenging.

Great mesh!! Been looking over your other posts, man where do you get the reference material for all of these. That's one of my main weak links in my organic modeling chain. I'm not a good 2d artist, so it's hard to find orthograph views for organics, but for hard surface modeling like I do alot of, cars, etc it's easy to find.

Just asking, regards,
Troy

# 87 04-06-2005 , 12:35 PM
Troy

Thanks man.

I use Unlimited at work and still dont use cloth, time is money!!

I sometimes create Blend shapes for movement on the sleeves or if a character bends to and fro so the 'cloth falls accordingly so its just driven by the joint movemnt in the rig.

The reference for my Characters are either photos of friends and colleagues and the Aliens are sketches that I do myself. You can see some over at my site. I still have loads to scan and get on there.

As for the meshes, its been a long haul to get to to where Im going. It took me a couple of goes to dig the looping theory, but as long as you understand the basics of underlying muscles in the face they are actually edge looped themselves in a way so if you can see this then you just apply it to your model. Then once you get down to facial expressions the job of contorting is made easy as it follows naturally. I think the first head I did was a tutorial called Joan Of Arc by a french 3d dude called Michel Rogier. This was a while ago now. He built it in Max but I just used Maya so..but because he built it one poly at a time, by extruding edges it was too much time taken up. Buch I found some other stuff by Bay Raitt (Gollum Modeller extraordinaire) and also renowned female modeller Steve Stahlberg and studied their methods with loops etc and then came up with my own way after hours and hours of practice. So now I have my own loop theory.

Hope this helps. I am thinking of doing some eye opener tutes to make stuff easy for everyone. Not to the point of SM with video etc but just some simple intuitive ways to speed up the work flow and not bog people down with the techy stuff. Just to the point.

Later

_jay

# 88 24-10-2005 , 07:00 AM
Well I thought Id dig this thread out instead of starting a new one.
Started texturing this guy.
Enjoy
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 89 24-10-2005 , 02:09 PM
Technical Director
Awsome job as always mate. Maybe give him a scar along the face. You know a little more weathered. Awsome again mate.

Cheers! user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 90 24-10-2005 , 04:57 PM
Dude!!

Thanx, how are you? sorry not been about for a chat, on the msn, busy as always, maybe toward the end of the week I'll catch up.

Yeah not so sure with the scar, I may add some circuits just on top of his head to coinside with his robotic side.

This one was hand painted for a change, no photos at all

Later

Jay