Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 09-06-2005 , 05:37 AM
Subscriber
i like how you made the 'scaley' look...still a few seams where the fins meet the bottom of the body...try fading in from one color to the next...more gradual

I like it!

# 17 09-06-2005 , 11:45 AM
Subscriber
Thanks errethakbe,

I plan on hopefully spending some of this weekend on it. I've still got to get rid of the scales on the fins and head . . so many little jobs still left to do.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by BMS; 09-06-2005 at 11:51 AM.
# 18 09-06-2005 , 03:29 PM
Subscriber
Hey, good progress. I like the scale texture also, how exactly did you do it? Also, if you still havent got a soltion to your gills, why not try bump maps, unless of course you want to animate it.

# 19 09-06-2005 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
Thanks alienscience,

The scales were done with a Bump Map.

I want to be able to animate the gills, so the bump map idea may be out user added image If I crack I may use a bump map.

Cheers
Paul

# 20 10-06-2005 , 01:04 AM
Subscriber
Ahh, yes. Good choice. But once again, excellent job on the scales, did you use reflectivity for the shader or specular map for the texture? I cant get over how well they look. GREAT JOB :i would put a thumbs up smiley thing here, but they got rid of them, so you will have to settle for user added image:

Edit: oh wait, sorry, after looking at the model, I cant see much reflection. Whoops, guess I will have to wait for a lighted scene for that. But I AM sure you did a good job with it.

# 21 22-06-2005 , 11:47 PM
Subscriber
I plan on doing some more this weekend so hopefully I will have something worth posting.

Can anyone suggest a way of doing a Pebbly River bed? I really don't want to model 100 rocks to make the river bed. I'm wondering if I can get away with simply texturing a Poly Plane with a river bed image.

Cheers
Paul

# 22 23-06-2005 , 09:23 PM
I have an idea that might work for the gills (Pm me if your interested). As for the pebbles, if you can get a really good texture for it and create a tileset type thing, it would be good in my eyes.

# 23 24-06-2005 , 07:03 AM
Subscriber
You can get a way with texture, but I don't recommend a flat plane. freehand some nurbs curve, spead them apart and loft them together to create a more organic surface are.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 24 26-06-2005 , 03:32 AM
Subscriber
Hi Guys,

This was a picture I did last week, but I've decided to drop this texture and the bump map. I've been looking at some Trout and I've noticed you can't actually see a defining bump where the scales are, since the scales are too thin. What you do see is a lighter spot in the middle of each scale. So to give the scale appearance I need to start the texture over again :headbang:

So there you have it my texture is all wrong :angery:

Cheers
Paul

Attached Thumbnails
# 25 26-06-2005 , 05:34 AM
Subscriber
Lighten it up a bit and either joint it or deform it to add some bends for "action"

I thought the texture was looking pretty good. Exactness wasn't necessary for the competitition.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 26 26-06-2005 , 06:09 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Michael,

I know what you mean, but as much as I'm slowly getting my head around Modelling and Texturing, I never seem to be satisfied with the end result.

It's Sunday night here and I've been at it since 9:00am :zzz:

BTW: For the River bed I'm going to try nurbs curves and loft them together as per you post. Can't wait to see how that comes out user added image

Cheers
Paul

# 27 26-06-2005 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows how I can make parts of my fins translucent ?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by BMS; 26-06-2005 at 09:14 PM.
# 28 27-06-2005 , 04:18 AM
Subscriber
you can make a transparency map (black = transparent, white = solid)
u can use youre normal texture map, make it grayscale, and paint white over the areas you want solid

# 29 27-06-2005 , 11:32 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for all your help guys. I'm pretty much out of time.

In any case here are some pics of the trout

Cheers
Paul

Attached Thumbnails
# 30 28-06-2005 , 10:36 AM
you did a fantastic job on the trout. I´m glad you are in the noob section, cause if you were posting in norm I wouldn´t have much chance against it!

good luck pal!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.