Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 28-06-2005 , 10:29 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Falott,

I've been fly fishing for Trout for the last 15 years, so I'm very passionate about my fishing . . . and Trout. The last two weeks I've been posting progress pics on the Fly Life Forum board and the guys have been very helpful with there comments and suggestions. In any case I really did put in an extreme effort for this one. I've actually spend 3 times the effort on the Texture than the modelling.

I really like your fish even though it creeps me out user added image Don't sell your model short. You've probably spent so much time on it that you're overly critical of it.

In any case thanks for the positive feedback, I know people here say there is too much of it, but I REALLY needed it user added image

Cheers
Paul

# 32 29-06-2005 , 06:06 AM
this effort is to notice. I know, it's a bit late, but did you ever try subSurfaceScattering? that may not solve your problem with the fin/transfluency but it has a great impact on fleshy appearence of the skin. you could map then your texture file into the color channel. even if it´s too late for using it on your trout it is worth a try. but you still have 2 days left so think about it. I myself like it a lot but still have to experiment with the settings. a very cool SSS shader you find at

https://www.digiteck3d.com

it´s called the DT3D skin shader. it´s an awsome work of a genius!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 33 29-06-2005 , 06:27 AM
Subscriber
I won't get a chance to use Maya until the weekend now user added image so no chance giving the fins a little transparency. In fact in the environment I have the fish I don't think you would even notice it. The only time you seem to be able to see through the fins is after you've caught the fish and taken it out of the water.

I've learnt a lot about texturing with this model, but I still have heaps to learn about shaders. I wouldn't mind getting some tutorials on the subject. Man, thinking about all this makes my brain hurt . . . so much more to learn :zzz:

I've checked out the site but yet to try out any of his shaders. I wouldn't mind have a go at a Human model next.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by BMS; 29-06-2005 at 07:14 AM.
# 34 30-06-2005 , 06:28 AM
Subscriber
G'day BMS! Great work on the trout - Goodluck with the comp!

Cheers! priimate.

# 35 30-06-2005 , 06:55 AM
Subscriber

Last edited by BMS; 30-06-2005 at 06:57 AM.
# 36 01-07-2005 , 03:15 PM
You might get lucky and have the next challenge be insects.