Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 12-07-2005 , 12:38 PM

July/Aug - norm - Baheno

okay, time to compete with my skills, I put myself as a norm user since I've used maya for about 2 years now, so I can't really call myself a noob.

I've made a basic "sketch" of how the image is about to be composed, allthough I'm going to add a background instead of the whole black area, but I'm not entirely shure about what I want (creepy forest or creepy room) yet.

...too bad I can't model heads... :headbang:

(removed image to clarify wich one I'm doing)

Last edited by baheno; 13-07-2005 at 03:10 PM.
# 2 12-07-2005 , 01:17 PM
Subscriber
interesting concept

# 3 12-07-2005 , 01:33 PM
Okay, maybe I overaimed a bit, I can tell right now that I won't be able to finnish my original idea so I decided to make a new one..

I'm going to be working in nurbs mostly, and maybe I'll be able to add some fur to the huggybear. as with the last image there's gonna be more objects in the scene than just the bear, some blocks as you might see, and hopefully a load of other toys since I'm trying to get the "tortured toys" look.

I'm feeling a bit more confident with this one

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 13-07-2005 , 10:18 AM
progress shot

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 13-07-2005 , 12:18 PM
Added the arm, and I'm working on the hole where the other arm should have been if it hadn't been ripped off

Attached Images
# 6 13-07-2005 , 02:17 PM
okay, I'm pretty much stuck now, I've modeled this far in nurbs and I thought, might be cool to add a simple texture to it, only to find out that it twirls and behaves rather whats the word, not likeable... so what I want to do is to convert it all to polygons, but... to achieve what I have now I've projected curves on to the body, and timmed the surface, after that I've added a freeform fillet, when I convert it all I get horrible horrible things that basically ruins my model (in my oppinion atleast) so... Anyone have an Idea on what to do? start over? ditch the fillets? yeah, that sort of things?

# 7 13-07-2005 , 02:27 PM
The Maya Mountain
personally, I'd suggest starting again with polys.

That will require UV mapping, but it gives you better control than nurbs, imho.

# 8 13-07-2005 , 02:29 PM
you have 2 options

1-model throw multi patch cuz sticking objects together won't help and free form fillet don't work always and very slow...

2-make a side,front,back if you can sketches and model them throw poly...if you can't model heads DON"T skip it try to learn modeling them there's alot of tuts on net its very importanat to know how to model them and believe me they are very cool when you know how to model them.

good luck user added image

# 9 13-07-2005 , 04:14 PM
Awesome! I solved it by using my old nurbs body as a reference, made a polygon body instead and then I converted the arm and legs to polygons, fitted it all together and did a combine->merge vertices and it's all good now user added image

Attached Images
# 10 13-07-2005 , 06:01 PM
since I only got the head left on the bear I decided to put that part up until tomorow, so I started doing some background objects for the scene... here are some blocks

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 14-07-2005 , 10:37 AM
Okay, so now I have a small problem, to make the blocks I used a simple polygon cube and did a bevel on it to get the rounded/erroded edges and then I just extruded in to get the indent where the numbers and letters are.

Now I want to add some materials on them to check how it looks, but when I try to use different materials on different faces it gets weird. soo to fix that problem I deleted the faces i wanted to have in colors and made a new cube and fitted it in nicely with the old beveled ones great, now I should be able to use two different materials on the "same" ombject.... WRONG! instead i get the same problem on my old beveled object (the one where I deleted some faces).

Anyone know what's wrong and how I can fix it?

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 14-07-2005 , 10:47 AM
first maya bevel is bad its not good for anything except very simple meshs..what i usually do is doing the bevel my self..or use the maya bevel as my base.about the problem your are facing is because the uvs are deleted...to prove that unwrap your mesh.

hope that helps.

# 13 14-07-2005 , 11:53 AM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, you'll need to UV map it.

# 14 14-07-2005 , 12:30 PM
thanks for the help, UW mapping it solved the problem user added image

just because of the help I've gotten I've decided to show a little testrender I did with some textures and lights to test coloring directions to create the right mood

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 14-07-2005 , 01:41 PM
new Wip-shot, on the hand this time, I'm tring to do it skinny with the skin sort of hanging a little from the bones, so it looks like the fat and muscle in the fingers has vanished a bit but the skin hasn't really folowed so it's still stretched...

C&C welcome

Attached Thumbnails