Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 151 23-10-2005 , 06:21 AM
19 year Veteran
Cheers for the research on paint strokes and MR. Cant wait to see your results. I will have to try it on a future model. The problem with my Maya is that my doc server wont work. I would have never known about it if it weren't for you. user added image

# 152 24-10-2005 , 11:10 AM
For those here that use ZBrush, in www.highend3d.com there are two new great plugins available, one for integration with 2d painting programs, another for export displacements in various formats (including 32 bits). I've already dowloaded, and they look incredibly useful. Give them a try!

# 153 25-10-2005 , 06:11 PM
wow, pretty pretty man! looking forward to your reworking the textures. and more renders.

# 154 26-10-2005 , 12:17 AM
Thanks Utpal for the comments. Since time is running out, I think I will just finish the gun and correct some mistakes I can see in my last renders. Unfortunately, not always things can run as expected... But I'm very satisfied with this my first finished project.
Here goes another render, what I've made to see what I have to work on.

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Skin_Render.jpg

# 155 26-10-2005 , 12:25 AM
19 year Veteran
Awsome MR renderl! That is a MR render isn't it, with a SSS skin shader? How about a background for her in the final composition?

# 156 26-10-2005 , 05:06 AM
I love the pose and the wings look superb! Very well lit too! Good luck on finishing up and adding the gun.user added image

Dave

# 157 26-10-2005 , 07:53 AM
Subscriber
The lips need more colour,
the best place to look for poses, that I know off, when it comes to characters like these, is Marvel Comics, something between Rogue and Archangel

Hope you get it finished as you have got a great model there.
Dae

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 158 26-10-2005 , 08:22 AM
the face is looking a bit washed out compared to the rest of the model now. As dae mentions, maybe its time to learn how to apply some makeup user added image

the wings look spot on tho, really really good user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 159 26-10-2005 , 10:55 AM
I'm glad you have liked the wings. They are far from what I had in mind, but if they are working it's what matter!

THX1138: Yes, finally a MR render with SSS. I'll learn how to configure the shader today, and then make another render. Thanks for your coment.

Dave: Many thanks. I'm very glad to get such words of you, since you're one of the best artists I know.

Dae: Lips were coloured in Photoshop. In fact, I didn't make her color map yet. Problably I will do it today or tomorrow. Thanks for suggestions.

t1ck135: Yes, I realized that after the render. I think I will rework eyelashes textures, and see what I could do about the eyes, they are a bit inexpressive now. And of course, make a color map.

# 160 26-10-2005 , 09:23 PM
19 year Veteran
Since your a newby at SSS skin shaders, I reccomend you look at Steven Stahlbergs method
link

Here is another one for Mental Ray's SSS shader.
link

I'm still learning myself, best of luck!user added image

# 161 28-10-2005 , 12:45 AM
Many thanks for links and for your nice words, THX1138. In fact I've already knew Steven Stahlberg's tutorial, and I tried to apply his method for my model before, but I wasn't able to get proper results. Because that I start searching on Maya's documentation a way to use MR. I think it was better this way, now I have some knowledge in MR, PFX, Maya render...
SSS is a relatively easy shader to use, I read an excelent tutorial yesterday (on www.highend3d.com) and learn all the basic things I have to know by now.

Since some people here are posting their rig systems, here goes mine. First, we have Michelle's skeleton. She's controled by a mix of IK and FX, and much patience...

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Shot_86.jpg

Here is the real skin of Michelle, some poly surfaces that act as wrap deformers. I still have to do one for control hair.

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Shot_87.jpg

And here some blendshapes to help us with bad deformations. If time wasn't a problem, I should have done much more.

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Shot_88.jpg

# 162 28-10-2005 , 12:47 AM
Here is a recent render.

Added color map for skin;
Started a bump for skin too;
SSS configured properly;
Materials tweaked a little;
Added displacements for boots and glove;
Overall shape of gun defined;
And a thousand of little corrections in silly things...

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Pose3.jpg

# 163 28-10-2005 , 01:15 AM
The Maya Mountain
Very cool stuff. The knees look to me like they are twisted slightly? There's something a little off about them, I think. The hands might be a tad small/thin as well.

But really very nice job!

# 164 28-10-2005 , 01:19 AM
19 year Veteran
Awsome to know that your reallly getting the hang of Mental Ray and SSS shaders. She still looks a bit waxy though, and the lighting looks a bit too intense. Are you using Ray traced shadows or D-Map shadows? I downloaded 2 of hi-end3d's skin shaders a while back and messed with them for a while, very cool stuff. The only problem for me is that just when I think I have it figured out, I find something else thats done differently. So in that respect , it doesn't hurt to learn several methods of doing it.

By the way, awsome rig. Are you using IK handles on her?

# 165 28-10-2005 , 07:39 AM
there seems a lack of shadows under the hair on the head, is this just the render?

its very nearly there though jramauri, just a little more tweaking and it'll be pop user added image

thanks for sharing the images of the rig and the blendshapes, its very helpful to see how you tackled the various parts user added image

good luck in the final run!

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 28-10-2005 at 07:42 AM.