Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 16-09-2005 , 01:06 PM
Yes, man, her head is enormous!!! I´ll try to fix it, and maybe I'd change her face proportions, because looking to her now, her face does't look an adult, but a childsh face. Thanks for advices.
Here's a Zbrush side view.

Attached Images
# 32 16-09-2005 , 01:07 PM
Maya's side view

Attached Images
# 33 16-09-2005 , 03:49 PM
here's a couple of small quick refs to use as a better guide:

Attached Images

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 34 16-09-2005 , 03:50 PM
and:

Attached Images

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 35 16-09-2005 , 07:27 PM
Thanks a lot for the images. I spent some hours doing a study of head, using some photos of a japanese girl, and modeling with ZBrush, and I understood some points I was doing wrong. The problem is I can draw a head in various positions, but I don't have a 3D vision of a skull in my mind yet. But I think I can overcome this practicing very much. I'll search in Google for references of skull, and then fix my model.

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 17-09-2005 , 12:13 AM

Zbrush...

Now I start working in Zbrush, to do details Maya doesn't allow. Man, it's much easier modeling in Zbrush, don't you think?

jramurai

i dont know whether its just me... but are heaps more people using zbrush?? does this make it fair for those of us who dont have it?

it obviously can do things that maya cant... so does that give these zbrush users an unfair advantage over the rest of the competition????

what do u guys think?

<a href="https://www.randomblowup.com"> My Small Company's Website </a>
# 37 17-09-2005 , 12:28 AM
There has been a lot of debate over this subject. I do not know how to use ZBrush, but I have seen what it can do and it is great.

You are supposed to be able to use ZBrush in this competition only for creating displacement maps for models created in Maya. So I don't know if there has been a rule change, or how people are using the program, but I don't mind it so much.... it looks like it will just bring out better Maya modelers.

# 38 17-09-2005 , 12:36 AM
I beg to differ. ZBrush is a very powerful tool, perhaps as powerful as Maya, and letting people use this, even for displacement, gives them a huge step in front of the competition. I believe that ZBrush should not be allowed for displacement or not, and that for all of the displacement and bumps you should stick to photoshop or whatever program you people use for textures. Thats my 2 cents. Now, to jramurai, I agree that the model did look quite childlike, and now it looks kinda strange. It's a great improbvement, however, from the previous one. It doesn't look female though! Cheers to some more good work.

Cheers, user added image
,Matt user added image

# 39 17-09-2005 , 12:41 AM
I was thinking about it, and I do agree with you. If people saw how easily someone can create a realistic model in ZBrush they would understand the problem with using this program in such a competition.

I couldnt imagine what one guy was talking about-- using a 500,000 to 600,000 polygon model from ZBrush.

Sorry for bogging up your thread. I also agree that your model does not look like a female.

# 40 17-09-2005 , 08:07 AM

<< A French guy who have some problem in english but who have to live with >>
---------------
<a href="https://www.kiveun.com">My Website : https://www.kiveun.com</a>
---------------
<a href="https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=181609#post181609">My Challenge Jan/Fev (Unfinished)</a> - <a href="https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20643">My Challenge Mar/Apr (Unfinished)</a>
<a href="https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21564">My Challenge May/June (Finished)</a> - <a href="https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22191">My Challenge July/Aug (In Progress)</a>
---------------
<a href="https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22155">W.I.P : Little Greek Place</a>
# 41 17-09-2005 , 12:54 PM
Thanks for comments, guys. In fact, I was surprised too, to see ZBrush was allowed for a Maya competition, even for displacements. In part I agree that is a great advantage having ZBrush to do details, but In my point of view, what do a model a REAL GOOD model isn't details you can add in ZBrush, but the main structure of model, its proportions, gesture and so. As you can see, I'm not a great modeler, in fact I'm just learning how to do that and how to use Maya and ZBrush. I don't believe I'll win this challenge, I'm here more to learn and have some fun with my model. And I'm using ZBrush only for disp not modeling. As you can see I did all modeling part in Maya. And I don't believe I can be a menace for anybody here, so don't worry, buddies!
I will do more sketches to make a try in fixing or restart modeling again, to do Michelle looks a woman.
I appreciate your comments very much. And thanks, Kiveun, for the tutorial.

# 42 17-09-2005 , 03:02 PM

I've got ISSUES!!!

my question wasn't meant only to be specific to you... it was meant for anyone who uses a combination of zbrush and Maya.

take for example someone who is a good modeller, and then uses zbrush to further enhance their model... is that fair?

and think of it from my point of view. how would you feel if others were using zbrush if you only had maya?

this i feel is a pretty big issue, second only to the war in iraq.

possible solution: maybe make a comp for users of both maya and zbrush, where the competitors are on a level playing field.

<a href="https://www.randomblowup.com"> My Small Company's Website </a>
# 43 17-09-2005 , 03:35 PM

to joshlobo

joshlobo:
You´re right when you say that people who have only maya can be put in disadvantage ("disadvantage" - does this word exist?). But if you don´t have zbrush, you can get a demo version of it right in the Pixologic´s site. This is the page:

https://pixologic.com/order/demoselect.html

I participated in the last challenge here and I was planning to use zbrush to make displacements, but ended up without doing so.

The question may be: should the level of details of the models in the competition be higher (using zbrush for displ.) or should the competitors take the most out of maya tools, learning good techniques and dealing with limitations (but the level of details in the challenge may be coarser)?

Jramauri: Good luck with your model. I´m waiting to see it with the wings and accessories.
Why you abandoned the first head of the girl? In my opinion, it looks more like the concept sketch than the second. It just need some adjustements and details. I agree with the people that said the chin is too proeminent. Try the soft modification tool (Edit > Transformation tools > soft modification tool).

Good luck again.

# 44 17-09-2005 , 04:23 PM
The Maya Mountain
it's not a "maya" competition. It's a Simply Site competition. Max, Lightwave, Maya, and Zbrush are all supported applications of the simply forums (zbrush is a part of the Max forums at the moment).

# 45 17-09-2005 , 06:43 PM
Joshlobo: I insist in my point of view: details are not the most important thing. What makes a model worth it's its gesture, its beauty, the time spent make it looks great. In this challenge for example, there are two guys, Swankymonkey e Legolas_hv that are doing a great work only with Maya. Their models are much superior and expressive than mine. There's other important examples, like Lord of Rings, Spiderman, Ice Age, Final Fantasy, Shrek and many other productions, which have a high level, of production, in every aspects, and were done using Maya only.
The point is: if you're a good modeller, dont't worry! ZBrush won't cause any damage for you. Models done in traditional way won't die because of ZBrush. People use to do excelent work on disp, color and bump maps with Photoshop for a long time, and they will still doing.
Athos: Thanks for cheers. It seems there's a misunderstood here. I didn't abandone my original model. The head I've post at last was only a STUDY. I did in Zbrush because is easier and faster to use, and I needed to understand the mistakes I made on the first model. Briefily, I will post new shots of her face in Maya.

Last edited by jramauri; 17-09-2005 at 06:51 PM.