Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 121 07-10-2005 , 12:03 AM
Legolas_hv: Thanks for suggestions. But by now, I'm a little tired of fixing hand and face. I've been doing this for many days, and now is time to go on on my model. Since your suggestions are improvements, not fixes of something wrong, I'll do only if I have time to. I'm already seeing a great headache before me that will be the wings...

Varley: interesting picture. It's another approach in hands, doing blocks first. But to me, it works better copy from photos, or observe my own hand.

# 122 07-10-2005 , 05:34 PM
Hey, Jramauri

I'm curious to see how you tackle the wings. I'm just getting back to figuring out how I want to detail the wings on my entry. Texture or geometry? That is the question. Although you seem to be getting good results using paint effects on the hair so maybe thats the route you will take on the feathers? Keep up the great work!

# 123 07-10-2005 , 07:21 PM
Hi Dave. I was missing your comments here. Fortunatelly you are back. Well, I'm trying to make the wings for a while. My first try was using PFX, but I'm not able to get correct look and deformations. Problably because I don't know the thousands of controls it has. So, I decide to change for a polygonal approach. Some people here has suggested I could use one single surface for each row of feathers, but I didn't like the idea. I guess when it would be animated, deformation in texture would look many weird. What I'm doing now is modeling feather by feather exactly the way I want. When I finish, I will paint a feather's texture and bump to use in evry one. By now, I'm very satisfied with the results. And this approach seems easier to animate too. In weekend I'm going to post some shots, so you could see how is doing.
I'm missing new snapshots of your work too. It was great until your last posts.

Thanks for cheers!!

# 124 07-10-2005 , 07:38 PM

nice female

Nice Female, shes a cutie.

user added image

# 125 08-10-2005 , 06:08 PM
Maya crashed yesterday, and for some unknown reason, I lost a lot of changes I've made in my model, (and my sense of humor), mainly those in hands and neck and the wings I started to do. Then I came back to wings, to see how they will behave. It's the first "official" render I did. I'm watching some Pixar DVDs now to understand how they made belivable wings. Any crits and comments, or tutorials are much welcome.

Michelle, almost ready to fly

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Wings_1.jpg

This is a wing wire.

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Shot_74.jpg

# 126 08-10-2005 , 06:43 PM
Looking good! I'll post the wing from my entry so we can compare notesuser added image

Dave

# 127 08-10-2005 , 08:14 PM

# 128 08-10-2005 , 11:04 PM
Thanks a lot for the link, Legolas_hv. It's a great and very instructive tutorial!

# 129 09-10-2005 , 02:49 PM

nice

Looks great. Nice work on her outfit.

GO GO GO!

mf3

# 130 09-10-2005 , 09:16 PM
HOT!...Can you say Brazilian wax?

# 131 09-10-2005 , 10:02 PM
yeah that does look really good. I like how her outfit looks waxy or plastic like. Those wings look like they were a real ***** Keep it up my friend!

You shoulda just goudged his friggin eyeballs out. That woulda been funny!
# 132 09-10-2005 , 10:15 PM
Thank you guys for comments and cheers. I'm glad to see you're appreciating. Your work is getting great too!

Varley, I didn't understand your question.

# 133 10-10-2005 , 07:59 AM
great pair of wings there, very suitable for that angelic look user added image

and plenty of time to finish it off to whatever standard you're after.
did you say you were going to rig it? If so and you find any good rigging tutorials then let us know user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 134 18-10-2005 , 03:55 PM
OK. There's a long while I didn't post updates here... I stopped a little to learn a bit about animation, skinning, deformers and the like. By now I'm working on Michelle's rigging, but I like like to ask what do you think about her modeling? There's some part of her that doesn't look reasonable, and deserves more work? I Added feathers textures on the wings, and mores feathers for wing, but I really apreciate if you could say what's missing here. Sorry for bugging you with this, but since I'm learning 3D by myself, the only way I can know this kind of stuff is through your coments, mates.
Thanks for all that have helped me until now!user added image

# 135 18-10-2005 , 11:38 PM
19 year Veteran
If you haven't redone those changes you lost to the neck and hands, I reccomend you re do them again, but it's up to you.