Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-09-2005 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber

acoustic guitar strings problem

I created strings for my acoustic guitar by creating a curve and a nurbs circle and then extruded the circle along the curve. The curve twists several times around the tuning keys in my viewport beautifully but in my software renders it is not visible. The string is visible but disappears as it twists around the tuning keys. What is wrong....any suggestions? I have converted the string from nurbs to both polygon and subd's but with no success....they don't convert well at all...very corrupted. Do I need to build my guitar strings directly from polygon cylinders? Any suggestions appreciated.

user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-09-2005 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber

Acoustic Guitar

user added image

Here is a picture of the guitar 80% finished...texturing work to do and the darn strings I can't figure out yet. Lots of smoothing to do as well....lots of jagged edges still. Any suggestions?

I'm pretty new at this thing still so go easy.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 21-09-2005 , 01:11 PM
Couldn't you select the tube you extruded and delete by type - history, then use a deform, non liniar twist (or a bend) and deform the tube that way??

Or draw a curve that curves round the the machine head and extrude it that way?

# 4 21-09-2005 , 02:53 PM
Subscriber
I created these strings by creating a curve in the shape of the string that I wanted and then extruded along the curve....it looks beautiful in my perspective viewport but when I render it is invisible only on the part that twists up the machine head.

I am somewhat new at modeling...so I will try your suggestions with the bend and/or twist deformers.

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll let you know what happens.

# 5 21-09-2005 , 05:03 PM
Subscriber
i think your problem is this

you need to place more points when you are creating the string

you probably went like this

*-----------------------------------*=D <- machine head

you should go more like this

*-------------------------------****=D

if that makes sense, lol

First year 3D Grad
# 6 22-09-2005 , 03:31 PM
Subscriber
The Guitar looks really good.I wanna do the same for all my guitars.I may be asking you some questions when i`m ready good work.

# 7 23-09-2005 , 12:53 AM
Subscriber

Thanks

Yeah.....I'm finding limited time to work on the guitar. I will be trying some of the suggestions in the other posts over the weekend. I will be happy pass along any tips or tricks I have learned while doing this project. It has been trial and error for me so far. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

# 8 01-10-2005 , 05:27 AM
Subscriber

Another Pic

Still playing around with different things. Working on a scene to include the guitar in....but still have been working with some bonus tools to get the desired string effects. Will post an update on the string problem later.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Black_Bart_GA; 01-10-2005 at 03:13 PM.
# 9 02-10-2005 , 07:39 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Check the normals first. Can you show a wireframe where the wires wrap/ twist around, then we go from there

Cheers
Jay