Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-10-2005 , 12:53 AM

very beginners question

Hi all,

Im try to snap together two vertices by pressing the "V" key and moving one to the other, but they wont snap together.

Is there something that im doing wrong???

or maybe Ive tweeked the settings without knowing? Is there a way of resetting my settings?

Ive also tried just moving the vertices closer together and using merge vertices, but no luck.

What the heck am i doing wrong??

Thanks for any help

mmmmm........delicious
# 2 13-10-2005 , 06:26 AM
Lets first make sure you're doing everything corectly first:

1) You select the vertex you want to move
2) You press W to turn on the "move" tool
3) You press and hold V -- the move tool's square inbetween the move-arrows turning into a circle.
4) You click the circle then drag it to the other vertex -- still holding V
5) You release everything

??

# 3 13-10-2005 , 07:07 AM
ok its offical, im an idiot........

Thanks phopojijo!!!!

I was moving the manipulation handle instead of clicking on the circle and moving :headbang:

mmmmm........delicious
# 4 13-10-2005 , 08:28 PM
Don't forget -- that does not merge the verticies -- just puts them ontop of each other.

If you want a single vertex instead of 2 overlapping verticies -- you'll need to combine both objects, then select both verticies and click "edit polygons -> merge vertexes"

# 5 13-10-2005 , 09:13 PM
please more help required :headbang

I'm trying to combine two objects, I move the vertices together, which worked like you said, then I use:

edit poloygons -> merge vertices

But the two objects aren't one piece and when I shitf drag over the two vertices (I thought I have just merged) its seems I havent merged them at all, because I move just one of the vertices not a combined vertice.

Hopefully this makes sence.

Thanks

mmmmm........delicious
# 6 13-10-2005 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber
make sure you select the 2 objects first then goto Polygons -> Combine then go ahead and merge your vertices

# 7 13-10-2005 , 09:26 PM
Yea -- the objects need to be a single object for you to merge vertices.

Also -- you may want to drag-select over the vertice... it seems to me like Maya likes selecting the same vertice over and over if you just shift-click the same spot 2ce. Make sure that both are selected (in spite of not being able to visually tell... they occupy the same space)

# 8 13-10-2005 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber
theres also a little trick I learnt If you set up a shelf button where the merge vertices option is set to 0 and once you have all your points over the top of each other select the object and hit your shelf button and all the vertices that lay directly on top of one another get merged automatically

# 9 13-10-2005 , 09:30 PM
Hmm, so it works with just 0? Interesting, tried something similar with .001 but then I ended up with my firing lever on my Nebelwerfer a piece of paper :p

# 10 13-10-2005 , 11:34 PM
fantastic, it worked a treat :attn:

cheers guys user added image

mmmmm........delicious
# 11 14-10-2005 , 01:53 AM
I don't drink :p

Don't worry -- I'll cheers you with a pop.

Drunk & Modelling = Bad
Wired & Modelling = Good.

# 12 15-10-2005 , 12:24 AM

i got a really newbie question

how do i get/download the program to make those (tutorial) things?

# 13 15-10-2005 , 04:58 AM
The video tutorial?

Lemme guess -- you downloaded the MD5 Checksum? That's not the tutorial itself -- hell you don't really even need it. (Its a file used to verify files transferred over the internet... sort of like a UPC code on a carton of milk or keyboard. It identifies a file as a file... its not the file itself.)

user added image

When you get to that screen -- click the link in cyan (I blurred out the filename because it will be different depending on which tutorial you download) and you will get the file... you most likely clicked the link BELOW -- which is NOT the tutorial.

# 14 18-10-2005 , 07:55 AM
...I think he was asking about where he can find the program that the tutorial makers used to create their tutorials, not how to download the tutorials themselves. (No idea myself...I just thought I'd add some clarification to the topic)

# 15 18-10-2005 , 07:16 PM