Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 166 12-11-2002 , 12:02 PM
Subscriber
Good work mumbojumbo... keep it up user added image

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" A.Einstein
# 167 12-11-2002 , 01:29 PM
Subscriber
I like that shell you added to your mech Mumbojumbo_13!

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 168 12-11-2002 , 01:47 PM
Subscriber

Attack

So....added some Details at the head, and included some IK-Handles for the legs as well....not it "can" walk....

Modeling part is finished for me...even if it doesn't really looks like a hardcore-mecha.....let's call it a "Tuned Wasp" for Espionage purposes....

Will start to texture it now.....if that's okey

# 169 12-11-2002 , 01:47 PM
Subscriber

Forgot the image...i'm sorry

# 170 12-11-2002 , 01:50 PM
Subscriber
The design of the eyes are way facinating!!!
Great feature.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 171 12-11-2002 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber

Detail

enclosed a few Detail-Shots..f.ex. the Turbine....and the exhaust (first is lightened inside, to show what's going on inside)

# 172 12-11-2002 , 02:00 PM
Subscriber

Echaust

And here's the back

# 173 12-11-2002 , 02:18 PM
Subscriber
little leg update.

wish i had more time on my hands user added image

# 174 12-11-2002 , 02:30 PM
Subscriber
wow, adl, just seen your insect file. how do you manage to keep it at less than 400 kb? my ant is 1.6 mb big already.

and another problem, i made a major mistake - my ant has no separete legs or head - it is just one subd. i guess i am not knowing how to model right - i think animating will never work (besides time is too short)

# 175 12-11-2002 , 02:40 PM
Babyduck optimized your scene and delet history that should lower your file down, and your using sub-d it will make your files larger. You can separte the part in poly.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 176 12-11-2002 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Kurt
Babyduck optimized your scene and delet history that should lower your file down, and your using sub-d it will make your files larger. You can separte the part in poly.

it has no history and the wire does not look dense either - and yes it is optimized already. and next time i model something i leave the legs seperate. here is a pic of wireframe (adl, please take the last ic to showcase, not the wireframe).

# 177 12-11-2002 , 03:16 PM
Hello, Everybody!

I´m very pleased with everyone´s entries, good work guys!
Did you guys know that the thread itself hasn´t gone down from the Top 5 since the new site opened up? This is been a great team effort, and I really wish best of lucks to everybody since there´s quite a few competitors trying it out. Thanks Guys!

Great, now with the comments user added image

el_newty:Looks like Nurbs right? at least the wings? Increase Render Tesselation in the Attribute Editor. It´ll look better. Excellent entry overall. (and try to keep those images small, 600 pixels wide)

mumbojumbo_13: Excellent Shell! Looks awesome from my POV, all technology style! Same advise as with el_newty.

BulletProof: Excellent entry! Proving very difficult to beat! I agree with Kurt though, it still looks like it could be on the Discovery Channel, however, this is something that can be overcomed in texturing though, so I wish you a happy texturing! (Gotta love those eyes man!)

Babyduck: I´m pleased with the way your entry is coming, since, I´ve been seeing all your updates. The legs themselves look ok to me, and you´ve even tried cutting them apart. You could try Clean Topology on your model, this should lower a bit filesize, although check that you don´t lose anything in the process. Check upon Maya´s docs for Extracting Polygon Faces, this might give you some pointers on how to extract those legs. Hope it helps bud!

-entries updated now-

# 178 12-11-2002 , 03:35 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by adldesigner
Hello, Everybody!
Babyduck: I´m pleased with the way your entry is coming, since, I´ve been seeing all your updates. The legs themselves look ok to me, and you´ve even tried cutting them apart. You could try Clean Topology on your model, this should lower a bit filesize, although check that you don´t lose anything in the process. Check upon Maya´s docs for Extracting Polygon Faces, this might give you some pointers on how to extract those legs. Hope it helps bud!

i tried extracting polys - but i got 2 seperate polygons and the subd with its cache stayed the same. and if i transfer the 2 parts back to subd, i loose all the changes i made on subd level (and these are quite a lot - all the edges for instance). and as i have no clue how to texture yet, i will spend rest of the time for texturing, shading, light setting up, and rendering. animating it would be overkill user added image

but one thing i already learned: trying to model something will give a lot of exerience - and if i would make the ant too good, i had nothing to imrove on later :p - not everybody starts with perfect first model

# 179 12-11-2002 , 03:58 PM
Subscriber

Logo

Created a Logo for my Wasp in Illustrator...I know, it has nothing to do with the competition..but I want you to show...user added image)

b u l l e t

# 180 12-11-2002 , 04:10 PM

Originally posted by babyduck
i tried extracting polys - but i got 2 seperate polygons and the subd with its cache stayed the same. and if i transfer the 2 parts back to subd, i loose all the changes i made on subd level (and these are quite a lot - all the edges for instance). and as i have no clue how to texture yet, i will spend rest of the time for texturing, shading, light setting up, and rendering. animating it would be overkill user added image

but one thing i already learned: trying to model something will give a lot of exerience - and if i would make the ant too good, i had nothing to imrove on later :p - not everybody starts with perfect first model

Hehe Glad to know you´re actually that focused, keep on it, doing a great job!

BulletProof: I like it. user added image