Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-12-2005 , 01:43 AM

Lil' Zombie

Heres a small project I want to use to explore some animation. I wanted to keep the model very simple. He is based on a small sketch I did some months ago. I'm also gonna use this as an opportunity to get my hands dirty using Zbrush, which I finally bought (Yaay!), to do some cool texturing. No displacement is planned. Just bump, spec and color. The short pant leg will be torn and ragged.
user added image
... and the sketch ...
user added image

Thanks for looking!

Dave

# 2 14-12-2005 , 01:50 AM
The Maya Mountain
excellent! user added image

# 3 14-12-2005 , 06:02 AM
Subscriber

wow

that's an awesome model for such a simple character..

# 4 16-12-2005 , 01:29 PM
Subscriber
Well, what are ya waiting for! user added image

Sketch look familiar... Haven't you posted it earlier?

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 5 18-12-2005 , 04:36 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Dave

Lookin Good. Mesh looks very clean once again, nice one. z brush huh!! woohoo look forward to it.

Jay

# 6 19-12-2005 , 12:19 AM
Thank you for the comments!

I'm waiting to post some significant progress. ZBRUSH is truly an incredible texturing package once you know your way around a bit. Also using a plugin like ZAPPLINK available from the pixologic site lets you use photoshop in a very slick workflow. I'm still testing the waters on this app but, damn! I think I'm in love!

Dave

# 7 21-12-2005 , 08:18 AM
Still fumbling my way through ZBRUSH. I'm messing with all the painting tools to find what suits me best. There really is quite a lot to play with. One thing that is very pleasing to me is ZBRUSH's Projection Master. Painting textures using this mode is very intuitive and appeals to the 2D illustrator side of me. But something that bothers me a bit is that working directly on a low poly model can be difficult because you can't smooth the normals (at least not that I've read or found). My current work around for this is to apply a flat shader to the model while painting which kills the hard edges and also any shadows.

Heres one version of the Lil' Zombie. Not nearly complete and since I was working from dark to light its still pretty dark. Not sure if this is the direction I wanna take him but honestly I'm just having fun ...
user added image

# 8 21-12-2005 , 09:12 AM
cool stuff dave, very impressive user added image

when I first saw your character (in a previous thread) I thought he was a monk based on the sketch user added image
Its good to see the model developing and good luck with learning zbrush!

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 9 21-12-2005 , 04:39 PM
hey dave, great start. as always, its the cleanliness of your meshes that really impresses me.

user added image

# 10 13-01-2006 , 05:22 AM
Really nice, clean looking character user added image Looking forward to seeing the progress.

.. J
# 11 13-01-2006 , 08:58 AM
Subscriber
I love your model, it's so tidy!

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 12 13-01-2006 , 09:01 AM
Subscriber

hmm.

indeed, this looks really nice.. i'm waiting to see the final result.. quite impressive.