Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 11-01-2006 , 10:33 PM
Subscriber

Whats first?

What would you want to do first after you finished the model. Rigging or Textureing first?

# 2 11-01-2006 , 10:59 PM
Subscriber
id probably search the forum to see if this question hasn't been asked 100, 065 times...

or texture it first, which everuser added image

# 3 19-01-2006 , 04:24 AM
Well most of the tutorial i've seen they rig or animate after modelling.

Yo mamma!
# 4 19-01-2006 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber
You should at least layout the UV's before rigging because that creates a lot of history which you won't need later on. If you rig things first, however, you can't delete your history as that will delete your weights as well... I think user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 5 20-01-2006 , 01:38 PM
From a logical perspective, and I am not saying that it always works that way....but I would rig first then texture. Most often you would want to see how the model acts before putting in the hours for texturing. After rigging is done and you are happy, texture away!.....and then it's tweakin time because you will have to make sure you textures don't get all messed up when the model is animated.

But that's the way I would do it.....rig then texture.

I don't think artists color their drawings before checking the movement.....ie in cell animation.

But hey....that's just my take on ituser added image

# 6 20-01-2006 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
thanks everyone, i think im going to rig it first.