Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 76 14-04-2006 , 12:35 PM

just to let you know i look forward to this thread nearly as much as i do X-Men 3 being released! once again, excellent work.

Man, the pressure is really on now user added image

Thanks for all the comments, I agree that the bag still needs some work, the new playblast has the bag moving at a slight angle but i'm still not happy with it.

Good suggestion about the window as well Daffas, may have to encorporate that into the animation. This new playblast shows the addition of camera movement to the scene and the 'struggling' shot. Please bear in mind the the last shot is not finished yet and requires a lot of tweaking, i just did this playblast to show the current progress and the direction the scene is taking.

Playblast can be downloaded here

# 77 14-04-2006 , 12:48 PM
Subscriber
did i miss where you can download it from ?

# 78 14-04-2006 , 03:15 PM
Wordefull piece of work you have here, i like you modeling style user added image

Helder

PIXELDISFUNCTION.COM

Pelican spaceship
# 79 14-04-2006 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber
its looking good i wish i could do something like this. someday though i will be able to.

Do what you like, like what you do.
# 80 16-04-2006 , 10:04 PM
thanks guys, it's getting there, slowly but surely

a little update, the second scene is almost done and for good measure i've tacked on the first scene as well (i know about the connection between the scenes, just haven't set it up yet)

here is the anim:

playblast 11

# 81 17-04-2006 , 11:38 AM
the playblast was awsome! I wish i could animate like that, The bag, when it falls from the roof to the floor, did you use dynamics?

keep up the good work user added image

May the force be with you

MSN: markjborg@hotmail.com

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg
# 82 18-04-2006 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
its looking realy good, i just have another suggestion. at the begging when you zoom out of the shirt, i think it would be cool if it was a little faster, it just seems to slow.

Do what you like, like what you do.
# 83 19-04-2006 , 11:38 PM
Thanks guys,

regarding the shirt zoom, it'll make more sense when the texture is on there (if i ever get it finished) because it will show the main character's name, Giving the chance to slowly introduce the character to the audience.

Well, it's taken far too long, but i'd like to think that scene 2 is now finished animation-wise (no more touch-ups unless there is time at the end...which probably isn't likely) so here is the compiled playblast anim for scene 02

www.rostoons.co.uk/wip/scene02.avi

# 84 20-04-2006 , 01:53 AM
Subscriber
man I`m feeling your pain:headbang:

I now have to get a shot done a day to finnish on time, so starting to look at things to cut out of mine but there is very little :hug:

but yours is looking sweet.

Its flowing alittle better than your animatic did ~ well done

# 85 26-04-2006 , 04:06 PM
i totally love the modeling and character, the textures of the museum and character poses look great, the rig for your character looks to be very functional.

when watching your animation, i think in the museum shot the camera cuts and character animation work really well, but that bag still bugs me. i may be nitpicking a little, but when i think of a bag full of heavy tools falling from that high, i think more of a splat, not a bounce and roll/slide... try taking your bookbag, filling it with heavy books, and throw it across the room or drop it from over your head and see what it does... i think if anything you'd get a slight squash and stretch action (and return to normal... maybe a slight puff of dust from the bag if he doesn't use it often *shrug*)

in the main character's room i think the dolly back from the shirt only seems long because we see no textures and can't tell why we're focusing on the shirt so much, so i really see no problem there. the montage of the room showing what i would assume to be tapes and books on thievery (proof that he's mastered his craft?) works really well. in the room shot the only thing that bugs me is the slow zoom into the flyer on the desk. is there a voice-over going on here? just music? if you need the timing for a narrative i think it's fine, but otherwise it's a needless camera movement. sticking with the dissolves (like you did with the rest of the room) and going to a much closer shot of the flyer (and then possibly zooming from there?) would work better in terms of continuity (because each shot in the montage has some kind of camera movement), but since i don't have your storyboards i'm not sure why the decision was made.

except for those two things (and they're just personal opinions) you're doing a fantastic job. heck look at all these people that consistently check back to see more progress... you've captivated an audience and it's not even done yet! good job! user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 86 01-05-2006 , 02:31 PM
Thank you NeoStrider for your incredibly kind words.

I haven't been able to update the thread as often as i'd like as i'm having a bit of a connection problem at the moment, shall be receiving a new wireless card on friday that'll hopefully solve the problem.

On the work front, i've taken your ideas into account, I was never happy with the animation of the bag either so that has been adjusted. I've also rendered out the first shot of the second scene (12 hours for 8 seconds user added image) and i've made a quick video with the frames, ignore the compression, it's been made small so i can upload it, the final thing will be better. here is a shot of one of the finished diamond and case (this render was taken before i adjusted the shadows, they look a bit pixelated in this shot)

user added image

and a link to the video here

Also in case anybody was wondering, my website is now finished and is online at www.rostoons.co.uk Only html at the moment but I am intending on creating a flash site at some point in the future, probably after I graduate

# 87 02-05-2006 , 09:07 PM
it's not until seeing a fully textured shot that i realize that you don't really know what's going on til your eye catches the bag falling... which to me is excellent. with such a long shot into the museum the thief could be coming from around any of those corners, but no! he comes from the ceiling! can't wait to see how he uses the tools he's got in his bag (which now falls quite majestically, i might add user added image)

Accept no substitutions.
# 88 02-05-2006 , 10:24 PM
yep the bag is much much better than the last one, user added image keep it up

May the force be with you

MSN: markjborg@hotmail.com

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg
# 89 02-05-2006 , 11:47 PM
lovely stuff and i agree with all the comments above.

i did wonder (i'm too excited to wait really) if you were going to add any effects like the dust NeoStrider mentioned or flare from the window opening. i don't think the window passes the correct angle to give a flare but you know what i mean, little touches and the like.

i realise this constitutes being 'well cheeky' as it then puts you under pressure to include them if you say you plan to but at the end of the day i said earlier X-Men 3 chap, X-Men 3!

quite like the website too, feels personal rather than the highly stylised sites you see a lot of nowadays. bear in mind that this is personal preference and was not meant to offend those with highly stylised sites.

well i just felt like a ramble...

top stuff chap.

# 90 03-05-2006 , 12:56 PM
Subscriber
wow this is coming on nicely i love it, modeling with out a plan its bril (oh and happymat27 you have a great taste in cars the bugatti rocks):p