Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 15-03-2006 , 07:21 PM

New to the community.

Hello all, 3d Graphics and artwork is something I have always been intersted in. Recently I have had the motivation to start animating and modeling. I currently use 3ds max and maya. I found this neat site browsing the web and I really enjoy all the artwork and videos collected here. Alot of talented people here, however I wanted to post to get a few tips. For starters.. I do not draw good at all.. I have never been interested in pen and paper art. Could this hurt me in the long run? :headbang: Secondly I am 20 years old, did I wait to late to get started? And lastly how old were you when you got started and before you started to get the 'feel' for it?

P.S. Would school be a good thing to look into? I have a great programmer friend who I plan to make video games with. If I was to become a good animator I would want to do it as a career.

Thanks,
Robert

# 2 16-03-2006 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
ur neva too old if u can learn
also the 'not drawing with pen and paper' in my opinion will hurt u a little as the courses that i have look at prefered u to have an arts based a level or equiv grade
but if u pratice wat u do and get good its still good - however in my opinion if ur gion to focus on animation i dont fell that it will be all that bad but this is just my opinion

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973

Last edited by pbman; 16-03-2006 at 06:43 PM.
# 3 17-03-2006 , 12:18 AM
Nice to have you here dude, 20 old, no way!!

I'm rubbish with paper based stuff but i suppose I can hold me self (if required), I came from a CAD/WEB background.

# 4 17-03-2006 , 12:29 AM
The Maya Mountain
Being able to draw is definitely a big plus, but not a huge requirement. My own drawing skills aren't all that great, but passable.

20 isn't too old. I only really got going around 20 myself. Took me a good 2 years to really start to get it right.

School isn't required to get a job in this industry, but having a great portfolio IS. If you feel you need to go to school to learn what you need to make a great portfolio, do it. if you think you can do it on your own, more power to you!

# 5 17-03-2006 , 03:54 AM
Subscriber
okay mtmckinley

i see you have all the good books but where is the

maya for dummies ...

can i preorder a copy ????

i am actually serious lmao look at thread kurt dog gone mad ..i need a book like that HINT lmao user added image

# 6 17-03-2006 , 06:38 AM
Thanks for all the useful feedback, I was working with maya today and I did the tutorial on the classic temple. turned out very well and enjoyed it alot. I think this will be a fun experience and I am glad to have a place to rely on for any questions or info.

Thanks guys!

Robert