Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-03-2006 , 10:35 PM
Subscriber

What is wrong with this game character?

This game character was done last month. I don't know much about low resolution characters especially game characters. I was given 4000 tris. And I used 3884 tris.

Tell me what is wrong? And do you think this is riggable?

What is considered wasted geometry for a game character.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 17-03-2006 , 11:37 PM
I like your low poly character a lot! I have only just started doing low poly modelling myself so I can't really offer much crits other than make sure you get rid of any hidden faces, but your character is looking good to me. Maybe you could work on his feet a little - they are looking a bit small and could also use some work in the heel area. I had actually been thinking of building an elephant headed Ganesh type character myself, so I really like what you have done so far. Well done mate!
user added image

# 3 20-03-2006 , 03:20 AM
Subscriber
The best test for seeing if it is riggable or not is trying to rig it. My only concern is that the arms are too close together and that may cause the texture to stretch too much and make it look odd.

Death is certain, Life is not.
# 4 20-03-2006 , 09:02 AM
nice idea for a model user added image

Do you need the extra geometry that makes a cut in his collar as this could be textured to give the impression? (bottom left pic). The ear also looks to have a wasted little tri/funny geometry.

Do you need so many rings around the next area (top right pic) and could you simplify the number of quads on the back area? If the back is quite flat then maybe a simplified reworking will knock the poly count down.

I'm no expert but they just jumped out at me as possible optimisation areas user added image

Si

Attached Thumbnails

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 5 20-03-2006 , 03:04 PM
Subscriber
I actually have tried to textured it 2 times and 2 times, the arm areas did stretch. I haven't found a solution to make any textures not stretch from my last 2 models.

Are there great examples and tutorials out there to show how to model perfectly so the textures will not stretched?

But if I don't make the cuts close together...it wouldn't bend properly right ? when I rig it?

I'll fix the back in a few days.

I wish I can understand what is consider wasted geometry for games.

Thanks guys.

# 6 25-03-2006 , 12:37 AM
The Maya Mountain
seems like you could have more detail and definition in the torso. You might find some issues in the pelvis area when you animate a walk or something due to the one edge division in the crotch area.