Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 421 16-02-2012 , 11:54 PM
EduSciVis-er
Depth is any visual cue that tells your brain something is in front of another. Stereopsis is the one that "3D" movies use, but a much more important cue is simply occlusion (i.e. one object partly obscures another, therefore it is in front of it), and other things like light, shadows, and other tonal quality give you "depth" which is what you can use textures and other 2D for. Maybe that's not what anyone was talking about, but learning and using "2D" is I think very important for understanding 3D and art in general.

# 422 17-02-2012 , 12:06 AM
Noober than noob

Depth is any visual cue that tells your brain something is in front of another. Stereopsis is the one that "3D" movies use, but a much more important cue is simply occlusion (i.e. one object partly obscures another, therefore it is in front of it), and other things like light, shadows, and other tonal quality give you "depth" which is what you can use textures and other 2D for. Maybe that's not what anyone was talking about, but learning and using "2D" is I think very important for understanding 3D and art in general.

Yeah but I cannot understand lighting / shadowing in 2D, that's why I'm saying I probably should give up on that since I seem to just not understand how to shadow the characters I draw.

# 423 17-02-2012 , 12:28 AM
19 year Veteran
Your not going to understand it if you don't learn how to do it. Same thing applies to 3D. 2D and 3D go hand in hand. You really cant do one without the other in my honest opinion. Even the amazing folks who sculpt in Z-Brush or Mudbox with no reference have more than likely spent time doing 2D at some point.

# 424 17-02-2012 , 12:34 AM
Noober than noob

Your not going to understand it if you don't learn how to do it. Same thing applies to 3D. 2D and 3D go hand in hand. You really cant do one without the other in my honest opinion. Even the amazing folks who sculpt in Z-Brush or Mudbox with no reference have more than likely spent time doing 2D at some point.

I'll try but I don't know how to add depth while keeping the dark non-reflective aspect of those fish aliens. I'd make a separate thread just to not expand this one just talking about 2D but I don't know where. Maybe someone can help me achieve that effect I want, because I somehow have to use very dark but also burning colors in the picture.

This is somewhat close to how I'd like it to be. But it's a bit too dark.

Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 17-02-2012 at 12:39 AM.
# 425 17-02-2012 , 10:04 PM
19 year Veteran
I recommend that you forget about the color for right now, and focus on the anatomy instead. There are features on your Alien fish that don't translate very well because of the dark color scheme.

Do another concept with just line art only. Do it with pencil and paper and scan it, or take a cell phone pic or something, then post it here.

# 426 18-02-2012 , 12:34 AM
Noober than noob

I recommend that you forget about the color for right now, and focus on the anatomy instead. There are features on your Alien fish that don't translate very well because of the dark color scheme.

Do another concept with just line art only. Do it with pencil and paper and scan it, or take a cell phone pic or something, then post it here.

I don't have any scanners, so it will be blurry due to the phone (but I can make it sharper in Corel).
I will work on that tomorrow if I have time.
Though this one wasn't made on paper (unlike the other alien fish that looked like a bipedal shark). It was made on the pc for easier erasing if I'd make a mistake.

# 427 27-02-2012 , 04:21 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
Here is some stuff I am working on, the one of them I am sure many of you will recognize, its Alex Alvarez's Fume. I wanted to give it my own little spin though, still trying to figure out how to do some of the stuff I want to.

Attached Thumbnails
# 428 27-02-2012 , 10:06 PM
19 year Veteran
Cool stuff mate! I really like the Alex Alvarez's Fume sketch.

# 429 28-02-2012 , 01:57 AM
Lifetime Member
Cool stuff Oz....keep it up mate...lots practice.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 430 28-02-2012 , 02:38 AM
thanks guys, I am hopping to actually get around to completing these soon. I think I am going to trace fix some issues on the last sketch, I dont like how the top of the jaw looks disconnected, and I am not a fan of how I did some of the shading, tried doing cross hatching for the skin and smooth for the bone...I think I should reverse that theory.

# 431 28-02-2012 , 03:00 AM
Lifetime Member
I shade evrything...and only use lines or hatching for small areas. You know how to shade properly??? with different graphites? and using a SLIGHTLY if at all damp finger to 'rub' the shades??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 432 28-02-2012 , 03:44 AM
yea, I actually have done quite a few shade studies, different shade ink, or graphite, these I did while I was working so I never had the proper tools. It was just an on the spot had a few hours to blow type of thing

# 433 28-02-2012 , 04:13 AM
Just thought I'd post something in this thread. This is one of the character concepts for a project I'm working on. Scanner broke so I had to use a camera.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 434 29-02-2012 , 03:58 AM
19 year Veteran
Nice one Perfecto!

# 435 29-02-2012 , 04:17 AM
Lifetime Member
Very beastly Perfecto.....very nasty looking

cheers bullet

bullet1968