Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 121 02-06-2006 , 02:03 PM
Subscriber
still have more work to do and details but close to done ...

yeah tim I think i can finally say i am learning some and hopefully can apply it to my next project which I dont know what it will be ...

yoda thanks for the compliments

13th ..yes it is not a bird hahhaha and finally mean ..

still some work needed

# 122 02-06-2006 , 02:32 PM
yeah, looks great. But, the crease on his head, over the jaw, it makes his head look triangular. Also, you might not have gotten there yet, but the eyebrows are too chunky.

Apart from that, looks good user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 123 02-06-2006 , 04:30 PM
Subscriber
to me it looks like the bottom teeth are comming out of his lip instead of his mouth. The top ones look fine but I would place the bottom ones inside the mouth instead of on his lower lip.

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 124 03-06-2006 , 09:50 AM
Subscriber
Hey there mmoore, how's it going?

He's got teeth, Raarrrrrrr!! I have to agree with eric about the bottom ones though, shouldn't be too much of a problem to emphasise a difference between the lip and gum surfaces.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 125 04-06-2006 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
man, that looks like what I see in the mirror each morning when I get out of bed. mate fine modeling, this model has cost you some blood sweat and tears. lucky the tut doesn't have a body?? a scary thought LOL. if it did I'd be inclined to start it because your modeling skills seem to be well honed and there are a lot of opinions on this thread that may or may not have meaning to your own vision of the dragon. if your happy with it move on but if its not quit right, or you think there is more to learn here rather than changing the size of the teeth, ect, get back into it; there's still the texturing and that will bring added personality (if dragons have personality), LOL.

after the amount of blood this dragon has cost you, you'll be wanting to build a dungeon soon to put him/her in LOL

i'll be back on deck as soon as uni stuff is over (if ever LOL)

cheers mate

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 04-06-2006 at 01:03 AM.
# 126 04-06-2006 , 01:30 AM
Subscriber
it does have a body to it mirek ...lol ..at this moment after i finally finish ..i dont think I will be doing it ..I am not focusing on texturing at this particular time cause right now new ..I want to focus on getting one thing down good and then moving to another ..if that makes sense ...dont want to get too much on my plate at one time. ...

yeah alot of time is going in on this but i love it ..i dont get to work on maya that much between girlfriend and baby on the way but oh well ... i like it as a hobby ... wel I will keep all of you posted as soon as I work out some things ... thanks everyone for your support

the thing that scares me the most ...what am I going to model next ...

mirek pm me your real email address

# 127 04-06-2006 , 03:10 AM
Subscriber
baby on the way, CONGRATULATIONS mate, wow, that is fantastic.

best get in as much Maya as possible before that happens LOL.

e-mail coming down the track my friend.

do try a bit of texturing, you will find it a breeze after what you have done here, and you have some of the best around to help you. my friend, what is a model with out a texture, as 13th resident once said (I think it was him) ' a group of sub-Ds.' but that is all in your court user added image

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 04-06-2006 at 03:13 AM.
# 128 09-06-2006 , 03:36 AM
Subscriber
okay i took everyone advise and have redone alot of details ..small and large ...this is what i have so far ...just takes time ..too anyone that is still watching this ..any C and C is great ...almost coming to an end on the head ...

Attached Thumbnails
# 129 09-06-2006 , 03:41 AM
Subscriber
another shot

Attached Thumbnails
# 130 09-06-2006 , 03:43 AM
Subscriber
sorry i didnt read the entire thread, but a few word of advice,

dont clutter up the mesh, dont make things so tight. lossen it up a bit.

im not sure how closely you are following the tutorial, but you dont have to do what the guy does step for step. just use his method and techniques and apply them your own way.

post your base mesh wireframes so people can comment on your curve/edge layout.

refine the forms in areas that have sudden change in tangency, like under the eyes, mouth and nose. just add an extra edge loop there to show the break seamlessly on the surface.

good luck.
user added image

# 131 09-06-2006 , 03:48 AM
Subscriber
one more shot

Attached Thumbnails
# 132 09-06-2006 , 04:01 AM
Subscriber
well dang vlad ...get a response from you ..I feel honored after admiring all your work . I do have some questions if you dont mind indulging a new guy on the block ...get ya up to speed ..second model and working on it ...and learning as I go ...

i am doing some of my own stuff and some of the tutorials ...

when you say dont clutter mesh ... what exactly do you mean ?

also refinethe form ? add edge loops ? i have not read about those yet or found them in a tutorial can you explain ?

you can tear my model apart and I know you say how you feel so that is not going to bother me ..I learn from you all and if you tear it all up that is fine ... cause what you tear up I learn from ...

if you would be so kind to explain just a tad bit better ..sorry for newbie questions .> i will post wire frame which sure needs work ..

thank you

# 133 09-06-2006 , 04:32 AM
Subscriber
here is wire mesh per vlad request. can get a top wire if needed ..

Attached Thumbnails
# 134 09-06-2006 , 09:48 AM
Subscriber
That's really coming along nice. Can't think of much more to say about it now so that's got to be a good sign.

user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 135 09-06-2006 , 10:57 AM

Nice crisp edges

I am a convert from Max but find sub ds a pain also. If i want to just model in polys, is there a function that allows for different smoothing groups like they have in max. When I apply a meshsmooth to a poly object I cannot seem to retain any seperation of areas that need a crisp edge. I dont want to go through the model putting small chamfers on the edges that need distinction as its a pain in the arse to be honest. I know you have crease edge in sub ds, but I want to know if there is a way to do this with poly objects. Any suggestions??

Somedays you are the pigeon, and others, the statue