Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 07-06-2006 , 02:55 AM

some neat stuff

i have a few newbie questions and a couple screen shots of stuff i created over the past couple days of learning..

Besides uv mapping, what over texturing styles are there?

what do you guys (meaning all the people kind enough to read this) use polys NURBS and subdivs for exactly?

for example- poly for say inorganic and NURB for organics or subdivs for organics.

I mainly want to create land scapes/maps for games/ non organic models- what is my best direction to take?

here is a tank i was tooling around with in Maya-
user added image

here is a neat little rifle i made- first real model i created

user added image

i dont know why i posted these do be honest- just wondering if my "style" is coming along correctly
... if there even is a correct way

all were done with polys

Last edited by wofellian; 07-06-2006 at 02:59 AM.
# 2 07-06-2006 , 06:24 AM
Subscriber
The tank is coming along nicely! The rifle could benefit from a bit more light, but otherwise looks good!

UV mapping is, IMO, the best way to "color" an object. You can project textures onto an object without UV mapping, but UV mapping gives you infinitely more control and takes up less memory. Did you UV map the half of your tank?

As for "style", there is no "right way". There never is! You do what you want to do! The only possible advice here is try and keep things as simple as you can, and model as efficiently as you can. For example, if you aren't going to see one end of a cube on a model, delete that face! Also try and avoid pitfalls like overlapping polygons or polys with bad topology. Try and avoid polys with more than four edges (use the "split poly" tool to divide these animals; five sided polys can wreak havoc with rendering!).

As for what I use, it all depends. Sub D's are generally used either for low poly characters or for extreme detail. Polys are almost universal as they are easy to work with and can look really nice if you know how to use them efficiently. Personally, I avoid NURBS like the plague except for detail items or ground planes. I do use them to create basic shapes (like kneading a NURBS sphere into the basic form of a head), but when I have the shape I convert them to polys and go from there. NURBS can also be useful for creating the basic shape of an inorganic object (the Spitfire tutorial available on this site uses this method), but again it's all converted to polys.

Sub D's are generally used to fine-tune low poly objects and to output final renderings, though I've had great results working exclusively with polys thus far.

Hope this was helpful! Keep up the good work!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 3 07-06-2006 , 02:17 PM
thanks alot! very helpful- i just need to get a book and use some tutorials to understand how to create things more efficiently.

and yes i did uv the first half of the tank