Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 31-07-2006 , 01:17 PM
Subscriber
ok i decided to add rims, and rotors. even with 4 gig of ram and a geforce 7800 gtx graphics card, maya wont let me render it. it is saying running out of memor so i have to do my render without the rotors. hmm o well heres screen shots with it

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 17 31-07-2006 , 01:20 PM
Subscriber
another shot

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 18 31-07-2006 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
wow looking really good .... very nice. ... you have progressed really well ....cant wait to see finish project

Last edited by mmoore5553; 31-07-2006 at 01:50 PM.
# 19 31-07-2006 , 02:06 PM
Subscriber
and last shot with my super low pros. haha this would be if i wanted to squeeze 20's on my eclipse. It can be done, my boy has em and damn his tires actually thinner then mines lol but the ride sucks.

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 20 31-07-2006 , 02:07 PM
Subscriber
thts l0oking nice
if u want to render it try render layers
so put tread on wone
brakes on another
an rims on another ect

this should allow u to render it fully

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 21 31-07-2006 , 02:21 PM
Subscriber
ohh so it has more problems if everythings on 1 layer. i never new that, thanks for the heads up

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 22 01-08-2006 , 12:51 AM
What he means is to use the Render Layers function in the Render Globals. This takes a little planning, as you'll have to render in successive layers, using alpha maps, so that you can bring them into a compositior (e.g. photoshop) for your final image. You kinda have to visual the backgound to foreground structure of your model.

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to render that scene though. I'm using only 2 gigs of Ram, with a dual-core processor, and I've managed to render all my more complicated scenes so far. You probably just need to adjust your modeling to use less polys in your base mesh.

Last edited by dilberts; 01-08-2006 at 12:57 AM.
# 23 01-08-2006 , 01:06 AM
Subscriber
yea well what i usually do is model it and smooth level 3. I like highly smoothed crap because it just looks better. I know I should go with less polies but ive seen people model whole scenes with backgrounds n crap so I know they mesh has like 20 times what i have. I dont know this usually happens when rendering anything over 80,000 kb's i get "mr cant allocate so&so bytes" Ill have to try these layers tho

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 24 01-08-2006 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber
heres the mesh. As you can see, its alot of polys but its not like its a crazy amount

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 25 01-08-2006 , 04:38 AM
Just my opinion, but a level 3 smooth is probably over doing it. I've never smoothed higher than 2 subdivisions, and that third level is going to increase your poly count exponentially. Remember, the smoothing process is only as good as your base mesh. The more subdivisions you do, in reality, the MORE errors you'll see, as the subdivisions get small enough to pick up tiny bumps in your surface caused by vertices being a pixel or two out of line.

You can also try messing with the BSP structure, and memory settings in the Render Globals. Also, try decreasing the anti-aliasing a little. Often I find that the "Production" default settings are overkill for a quality still image. Also, reflections and refractions can effect the render hugely. The default settings of "10" reflections and refractions is too high for most images (unless you have a lot of glass). Most of the time I reduce them to around 6, and that alone decreases your render time. Optimizing a render can take a long time, but it's often necessary if you don't have access to a supercomputer.

This was my last poly wheel and tire. It was smoothed at level 2, and renders in just a few minutes, and my PC stats are lower than yours. If you try some of the things I mentioned, I'm sure you'll be able to get it to render.

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 17-08-2006 , 08:42 PM
Subscriber
farrout how did you get the tires so realistic! there perfectly curved and smooth... wow im impressed... thumps up

# 27 18-08-2006 , 02:24 AM
Subscriber
the curve is easy. Just apply a bend modifier and it will round it out. Well you have to tweek it but eventually, you can make a perfect circle.

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360