Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-11-2002 , 03:51 PM

snagenoff

Every time I go to select a face or something I end up selecting a couple things on the other side of my polygon. Is there an option that would only allow me to select only visible components? So I won't be selecting things on the far side of objects when I don't want to.

the day we stop thinking is the day we start sinking
# 2 24-11-2002 , 04:21 PM
Actually you could try just clicking the face or the objects you need .... not region-dragging.

# 3 24-11-2002 , 04:56 PM
So there is no such option? It could be usefull... save some time...

'Ars Longa, Vita Brevis'
# 4 24-11-2002 , 05:11 PM
Actually I think there´s such option, however it´s precisely because people want to save time that Maya pics out the other side, that way you don´t have to. Might want to check F1 on that or perhaps wait for one of the Maya Gurus around here. user added image

# 5 24-11-2002 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
I believe I read about a proceedure that does this in one of my Maya books, but I'm not sure which one it was. It can be done, though. A little tip: If you select faces on one side of an object, the faces on the other side of the object are selected as well. (exactly what you said) All you have to do is deselect the unwanted faces by holding down the ctrl key. This might make things easy enough for you so that you don't need what you're asking for.

# 6 24-11-2002 , 05:38 PM
What you are speaking of is called "Backface Culling".

Check your preferences to turn it on.

If it's not there, do F1, and do a search for it.
You'll find ituser added image

It's like "Clipping" for selectionsuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 25-11-2002 , 01:46 AM
Subscriber
a tip for everyone... when you are working with faces(or vertexes) in maya do not region select...

# 8 25-11-2002 , 02:07 AM
I usually marquee select. is that region selecting? what other way is there to select?

# 9 25-11-2002 , 02:11 AM
damn. jesus is in the house. mind yer manners.