Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-09-2006 , 07:50 PM
Acid44

game model help please

i made a car i want to export to a need for speed game but i dont know how

is there a program i need or do i just go export all and select the car file i want to export touser added image

# 2 23-09-2006 , 10:24 PM
Senior Software Developer
Hey,

You will need to answer these questions to know if you can export to/from Maya to the Game Engine

1. Does Maya support the ability to Export directly to the Game Engines proprietary file extension?
2. What type of effect (mapping, textures, dynamics) does the engine support?
3. Does the Developers/Publishers have an SDK for the Game?
4. Does the SDK include any plug-ins/tools for Maya?
5. What are the limits I have on the engine poly count, on screen and/or total?
6. Is there a MOD Community to allow me to have the support I need to do this?
7. If there is no direct support for Maya for the game engine, how will I get the model converted?

I'm not trying to put you on a downer, but having just left the post of Dept. Head for the Modelling Team on an Indie MMORPG, these were questions I had to answer.

I left the team, as they changed game engines and this basically took the use of Maya out of the equation and made it useless for asset creation for the game. Big Disappointment and I would have tried to put a halt to the change if I had known about it, but isn't Hindsight a wonderful thing.

L8rs and Good Luck

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 23-09-2006 , 10:55 PM
Subscriber
R@nsid, you mean there's no button in the shelf to automatically put my model into my ps2 ???? user added image surely not.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 4 24-09-2006 , 01:39 AM
On the subject of making models for games, a lot of games use custom file formats and scripts for the models. It ain't so simple as make a .mb file and stick it in the game directory. But of course we all know that.

# 5 24-09-2006 , 05:52 AM
LOL...

Try to help someone out and look wot happens... user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 6 24-09-2006 , 03:18 PM
Acid44
ummm... i have no clue about any of that i just wanna jam my car into the game...

# 7 24-09-2006 , 08:35 PM
?????????? Whats everyone on about?

# 8 25-09-2006 , 01:17 AM

Originally posted by acid44
ummm... i have no clue about any of that i just wanna jam my car into the game...

Well, if only Game Development was that simple...

I suggest you send mtmckinley a PM, also go buy his books. You can't just "jam" a model from any 3D app into a game engine it just doesn't work that way.

The devs may have made the game in 3D Max or XSI or Lightwave or used Free tools like blender or Milkshake to create the game assets. Also studios tend to create their own propriatery tools to deal with the workflow process...

Honestly, it looks like you haven't thought this through. Check to see if an SDK exists and speak to the MOD community and go from there.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter